Accu-Chek Mobile Cassettes on Ebay

Yorksman

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I have bought AC Mobile Cassettes off Ebay a few times and most of the time, the expiry date which is on the box and on the cassette container does not match the expiry date on the cassette when placed in the meter. For example, if I have purchased 2 x 100, ie 4 cassettes, they may all be marked 06/2014 for example but only one is, the rest are 2013 once slotted into the meter. Has anyone else notice this?

I'm wondering if that is why they are cheap, because it is a batch which has been dumped because of an error in packing. So far they have all been in date, but you are not quite sure of what is in there.

MCMLXXIII

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello
I usually buy one cassette of 50 at a time and although mine have always been in date they are usually nearing expiry.
That's the true price for getting them cheaper i guess.
I pay around £15 inc postage. So if anyone can provide a link from a reputable source that doesn't charge the same gain in delivery costs as the cassette itself I for one would be grateful.

Sent from my KFTT using DCUK Forum mobile app

Pilgrim22

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
animal cruelty
I use Accu chek mobile cassettes all the time.
There is two expire dates for them.
The first is while in the packs, unopened. This date is the longer of the two.
The other expiry date is once you insert the cassette into the monitor. This date is three months.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Sketcher

Dislikes
Other people's cats in my garden
I used to use the Accu-chek mobile and bought test strip cassettes from Boots. I was always puzzled why the expiry date the machine gave me was different from the one on the box, so thanks for that explanation. I have changed to the Bayer Contour Next and Bayer USB Next because they work with a much smaller sample than the AC, and they are more accurate, especially at low levels because they take several readings in rapid succession and give you the average. I still use the finger-pricker from the AC, though, because it's so quick & convenient (click to prime, click to prick,and that's it, apart from changing the lancet cassette every now and then, and there are no exposed sharps when you do that).

The strips for the Next meters are different from normal Bayer strips, but the doc prescribed them on repeat ("as directed"), so I just go on line and order another lot when I need them. I'm T2, so I realise I'm lucky: the doc knows he wouldn't have been able to give me a gold star for BG control after my last HbA1c if I didn't get strips; maybe he thinks it's worth it, because he could stop my Gliclazide.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Yorksman

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Pilgrim22 said:
The first is while in the packs, unopened. This date is the longer of the two.
The other expiry date is once you insert the cassette into the monitor. This date is three months.

That is an extremely useful and re-assuring answer. It had crossed my mind that maybe I was not resetting something but I have just checked with a new cassette and it is exactly as you say. Thanks very much.

Yorksman

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
MCMLXXIII said:
I usually buy one cassette of 50 at a time and although mine have always been in date they are usually nearing expiry.
That's the true price for getting them cheaper i guess.

Well Pilgrim has explained it. Obvious when you think about it, once you pull back the air tight seal, you need to use within 3 months. I got a bit worried about Ebay though because I bought some with a 2014 date on but they weren't delivered and the seller didn't reply to my request for a date. I've had to open a ticket now to get my money back. I didn't think paranoia was a symptom of diabetes but there does seem to be a conspiracy to get you to pay full prices for your meds :D

And the GPs are in on it!

MCMLXXIII

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Name and shame the ebay seller!:)

Sent from my KFTT using DCUK Forum mobile app