Accu chek rapid D canulars

Ca2910

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,
I am on an insulin pump trial and I love how easy the pump is to use. ( it is currently filled with water ) .... I just have one problem and that is the canulars ... When the water goes in it stings a lot and I have had to change the canular nearly every night ... Is this normal or is that a problem ... If any one has any advice on how to stop the stinging or how to make them last for the 2 days
Thanks

Reactions: 2 people

mrman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Not normal to feel it, but heard it mentioned a few times this happening with the saline. I did miss that stage and was pumping insulin from the start.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Reactions: 3 people

Ca2910

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you , i think once the insulin is in the pump it will feel better

JustDomUK

Are you using the rapid Ds? As these are the metal cannulas and may be adding to make it a little uncomfortable

Ca2910

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes , they are the ones I was given to start the trial with , what would you suggest to change to

jodysd6

I sometimes find larger boluses can be a bit more noticeable, so if I am doing a bolus over about 4-5 units I will sometimes set it as an extended bolus just over 15 mins so it's going in a bit slower and then get no stinging. Sometimes it's just a one off set where it seems to sting even though the set is otherwise working fine so this has helped in those cases.

mrman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Worth getting/trying some flex link ones, but will need to use the inserter machine to make sure they go in in properly. Put in using machine, pull out the introducer needle and leaves a soft cannula inside.

Reactions: 3 people

Julie1471

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Having high blood sugars!!!!!
I use a different pump but use soft cannula's is their an option on your pump, to slow the delivery rate. On mine I have the option of slow or normal. Mines set to slow as large does hurt.

JustDomUK

Well rapid Ds are sometimes recommended if you may be allergic to the plastic cannulas. They are more solid than the softer plastic cannulas. If you're not allergic then using the softer Flexlink or Tenderlink may help here. As you're not actually using insulin at the moment it's difficult to say but do go back to your pump nurse and explain what's happening.

Chas C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Ask to try the FlexLink, I use these and moved from Rapid D's. Also could be that your needles are either too long or too short ?, they come in varying lengths.

K8tie_x

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have used both 6 and 8mm rapid ds and have found them to be absolutely fine. The odd time I've been having alot of insulin I have felt a very slight sting but nothing anywhere near a normal injection, I would speak to your DSN and see if its related to the saline solution. Good luck!

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
The point of accuchek giving instructions to do set changes before doing a bolus is, because if doing a bus and it stings you probably need to try again with a different site.

The flexible cannulas are more prone to occlusions than rapid d ones.

You should not actually feel a set or cannula in you, even when bolusing.