Actual call center conversations!

Nektarin87

Type of diabetes
HCP
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Nothing, but rascism and dill :)
Haven't had funny ones with Diabetes helpline but did have some fun with a telephone helpline (outsourced to a Philippine call centre) who was adamant that I lived in the northern suburb of Melbourne (Australia) I actually live in a country town about 8o miles (130 kms) north of Melbourne. Despite this fact, the call centre dude knew more about where I live more than me!:mad:

Yeah :) That could happen most times, when you call someone. I could tell many cases of previous experiences where I got the right address to someone, though with outsourced call centers, you never know. I had the chance to work with guys, also ladies from the Philippines. Some were really nice and helpful, but others were just examples of the rumours and jokes could be heard. With no offence to anyone of course.
Now why I asked about Carelines, I accually never called any line dealing with diabetes, but I in fact worked for a national information Call Center. There was some hugh trouble sometimes :D Just an example:

"Hi, my name is XY, how may I help you?"
"Hi, now listen! All my fellow guys are here, we are little drunk, and nearly fighting..."
"I see, Sir, but how can I be at your service?"
"Be at our service? Now if you would be a lady, you could, you know... but the thing is, we have a question."
"I`m full ears, Sir."
"Now, please answere right, as we had a bet with my folks here, where the prize is a bucket of beer."
"Ok, Sir, I will do my best."
"So here it goes: Which is bigger, the crocodile or the aligator?"
"Wow... Sir, this is indeed a tricky one, but let me have a search on the internet and would tell you the answere right away."
From the background: "if that big butted mama could not tell you the answere within 2 minutes, you loooooose"
"Did you hear that, Buddy? Help meeee"
"Yes, loud and clear, Sir, so I let me just see. Ok, now according to the wikipedia and I also looked on the natgeo webpage, the crocodile could be bigger".
"Could be......Ohhhh..... yesssssss! I just won a bucket!!!!!!!" Then another guy picks the phone... "Hey you Missy! What is that could be?"
On my low tone of voice: "Good evening, Sir!"
"Oh, my Lord! Thought it was a female I spoke to earlier" From background: "That was the waitress lady you idiot!!"
"So, Sir, according to the information I found on the internet the crocodile could grow bigger"
"Now listen, wise man! Crocodeles could die like babies, could not?"
"Yes, suppose that is correct, but the question was simple and without any specification, like the age of the animals"
"Ok, but the information on the internet is wrong and useless. Just think, that cost me a bucket of beer, ay?"
"I am sorry to hear that Sir, but I could only tell you the answere and the followings you may discuss with your friends"
"I will, for sure. Are you gay, by the way?"
"No Sir, 100 % not. Is there any other way I could help you?"
"You could drive us home."
"Now Sir, there are some problems with that. First I do not have a car, and I think you could be too far from me either."
"Now way."
"Though, I can offer you to get you a number of a nearby taxi service."
"Oh, you would not dare, you idiot! I would not spend that much money. I just lost a bet...."
"Then thank you for calling us and wish you all the best" (the guy was swearing till then, that I would not write down and could not translate)

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 2 people

phil1966

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I don't know if this is true, or just an anecdote, but many, many years ago (in the days of the floppy disk), I was attending a seminar on data security. The guy presenting told us what he swore was a true story about making yourself clear:

He had a customer who had lost some data on a disk so he asked for the backups. They returned with a folder clearly labelled as backups but when he opened it, all he saw was pages and pages of photocopies of a floppy disk

When he asked what they were, the customer said "They're the backups: you told me to copy the disk every night so that's what I've been doing"...

It must be 25 years ago since I heard that story but it's always stuck with me as an example of why you should never assume things and always make sure you get your message across clearly: Just because something is clear and obvious to you doesn't mean it will be to everyone

Reactions: 10 people