Advantages of Continuous Monitoring

tubamanandy

My second and final ? week of trying out the Libre system.

Started to try out some foods that I know will cause BS spikes but not sure how much. Tried a small bowl of Morrisons Banana & Coconut Muesli this morning - shot my BS from 7.4 to 12.4 in a very short period of time. I usually have a couple of boiled eggs and BS usually drops through the morning after the usual early morning rise. I decided to go for an hour bike ride mid-morning and very quickly it dropped to around 5.4 with a going down arrow warning on my appln. - exercise seemed to have helped

Even a 25gr bag of crisps I can see a definite rise in my BS. If I go near to potatoes or chips, my BS always hits around 12 (not actually sure how bad that is but much higher than I would like, 9 would be better). Trouble is, with potatoes it seems to stay too high for an extended period of time.

Going to be trying some other foods out this week to see what effect they have on me. I'm Type 2 for past 4 years taking 2 x Metformin/day. I seem to be able to stick to around 50-80Gr of Carbs/day so I'm keen to know if this will drop the overall level of sugar in my blood over a period of time - certainly cant do any harm.

Reactions: novorapidboi26
D

Deleted Account

The information we get from the Libre and CGM is great.
I am delighted to see someone else use the data to identify trends rather than just seeing it as a replacement for pricking your finger.

Being pedantic (sorry), the Libre is not called a CGM - it is a Flash Monitor.
The difference, which I have only recently learnt, is the CGM does "monitoring" part continuously. By this it means the reader is actively monitoring continuously. Whereas, the Libre reader only does the monitoring when it is "Flashed" (or scanned) against the sensor. Both are collecting BG information continuously which is what confused me.
The reason this matters, is a CGM is able to alert as soon as it collects a reading which is too high or too low: the Libre is not able to provide this functionality (unless it is "pimped"). And, when you become insensitive to hypos, a CGM can help but the Libre is less useful.

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I would be interested to hear how many people actually use the Libre just to replace finger pricks......?

to me thats just a waste....