Advice for a newbie.

rosserk

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Unfortunately my doctors aren't fantastic in fact their lack of knowledge around gestational which I appreciate is different nearly cost me my little girl if I hadn't of had a fluke encounter with a consultant so I do second guess them A LOT lol no you input has been so helpful thank you

Can you make an appointment with a different doctor at the practice? At the very least you need an answer to the question

Why does the WHO stipulate three different tests for diagnosing diabetes and why would your practice ignore that recommendation and not diagnose you on the result? Are they saying the WHO is wrong? I think the fact you also suffered gestational diabetes would be an important consideration.

Reactions: 2 people

seadragon

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Sounds like you definitely need to change your doctor. With a fasting BG of 6.9 I was called in to the surgery and it was suggested I take metformin even though that's 'pre-diabetic' range. I've got my fasting BG right down with diet and exercise (lost 5KG gone on to low carb higher fat diet and BGs now between 4.6 and 5.6 usually). You might need to ask them to do the Glucose Tolerance test which seems to give a good indication of whether one is diabetic or not.

sammimac39

My gtt was ok according to them high fasting but within normal on the second test I think if I recall it was 8.1 after ward

rosserk

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
My gtt was ok according to them high fasting but within normal on the second test I think if I recall it was 8.1 after ward

A third test? Lol I'm losing the will to live! My point proven, are any of these tests reliable? You have fasting blood sugars over the normal leveL either all the tests are suitable for diagnosing diabetes or they're not?

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Acceptance of health treatment claims that are not adequately supported by evidence. I dislike it when people sell ineffective and even harmful alternative health products to exploit the desperation of people with chronic illness.
Unfortunately my doctors aren't fantastic in fact their lack of knowledge around gestational which I appreciate is different nearly cost me my little girl if I hadn't of had a fluke encounter with a consultant so I do second guess them A LOT lol no you input has been so helpful thank you

I would change doctors if I were you. I wouldn't trust them to be competent after what happened with your daughter :(

4ratbags

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
What a lot of mucking around. When I was diagnosed they just did an HbA1c test and it was over with. I would definately look for a new Dr.

Reactions: 4 people

sammimac39

Yip I have had 6 in the last year being told we will check again in 3 months etc etc and me being left in limbo the gp surgery here hasn't a great reputation to be honest but after asking to move before no one will take me as you have to live in an a certain postcode to be linked to Dr's so I'm told similar to school catchment area so I fear I'm stuck

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Acceptance of health treatment claims that are not adequately supported by evidence. I dislike it when people sell ineffective and even harmful alternative health products to exploit the desperation of people with chronic illness.
Yip I have had 6 in the last year being told we will check again in 3 months etc etc and me being left in limbo the gp surgery here hasn't a great reputation to be honest but after asking to move before no one will take me as you have to live in an a certain postcode to be linked to Dr's so I'm told similar to school catchment area so I fear I'm stuck
Do you have a friend living in the right catchment area that could receive your mail from your new doctor? ;)

rosserk

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Do you have a friend living in the right catchment area that could receive your mail from your new doctor? ;)

Not sure that's a good route to go down. You can make a complaint to your local NHS if your unhappy about the level of care you receive from your practice. I would contact them and request they facillitate you registering with another GP. Surely they're is more than one Doctor at the practice? Mine has at least 9.

http://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rig...LwHg4qECL2bDNgwCD1pWmxBllh-zeMmBJMaAsJ_8P8HAQ

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Not sure that's a good route to go down. You can make a complaint to your local NHS if your unhappy about the level of care you receive from your practice. I would contact them and request they facillitate you registering with another GP. Surely they're is more than one Doctor at the practice? Mine has at least 9.

http://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rig...LwHg4qECL2bDNgwCD1pWmxBllh-zeMmBJMaAsJ_8P8HAQ
It was kind of tongue-in-cheek on my part. If there is a process by which people can choose a better doctor and see them legitimately, I'm all for it. In NZ we have freedom of choice, unless you live in a place where there is a severe shortage of GPs.

rosserk

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
It was kind of tongue-in-cheek on my part. If there is a process by which people can choose a better doctor and see them legitimately, I'm all for it. In NZ we have freedom of choice, unless you live in a place where there is a severe shortage of GPs.

Ringing the NHS is the appropriate way here in the UK to change practices if your unhappy with a service. Once that process is started if the patient suffers any detriment as a result of negligence on the part of the practice the local NHS are liable. I think it's highly likely once she contacts her NHS she will be allocated a new practice.

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Ringing the NHS is the appropriate way here in the UK to change practices if your unhappy with a service. Once that process is started if the patient suffers any detriment as a result of negligence on the part of the practice the local NHS are liable. I think it's highly likely once she contacts her NHS she will be allocated a new practice.
I hope so because she seems to have had rubbish treatment so far :(

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Thanks I will go that root I have already made a few written complaints so these should be on my file
Wow, even after making not just one but a few written complaints you are still not getting proper care... I shake my head at these people.

sammimac39

It was on the midwifery side I refused to have the midwife in my home after having my daughter and when telling my consultant about her plan of care he told me I would be under him so never had to see her again the consultant raised concerns S's well and that midwife is no longer at the practice says it all