Advice needed please..

Nutty72

Type of diabetes
Type 1
My 11 year old daughter diagnosed type1 in December, should the school receive a visit from our diabetic team?? Nothing's happened to date and the school have had no correspondence.. We don't feel we have had any support from the team but before I throw a tantrum I just wanted to know if a visit to the school is the norm? Thanks in advance

1Sarah1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi my daughter is only 2 but was immediately offered by the diabetic team to go into nursery or school when the time comes.

Reactions: 2 people

ACMH

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes my son (3) was also diagnosed in Dec and the team here have been going to the nursery twice a week since the start of term to teach the school how to administer insulin! Obviously it's different as he isn't able to administer the insulin himself but I would say they need to have a care plan in place and teachers need to know what to look out for in case of hypos!!

wrobin

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
My daughter, now 11 was diagnosed with type I diabetes a year ago. The diabetic team were brilliant and visited her school within a week of her diagnosis. She was at primary school then (the primary school were absolutely fantastic with her), but has since moved to secondary. The diabetic team again said they would go in if we wanted them to, but we felt a lot more confident in what we were doing then, so I gave the school a booklet I got from
https://www.diabetes.org.uk/Guide-to-diabetes/Schools/Diabetes-in-schools-resources/

I'd say it's really important for someone to go into school to start off with because in the beginning you don't really know what you're doing and you need people around your daughter who have some basic training and know what your daughter needs to be doing in case she forgets.

I also work in a secondary school (not my daughter's school) and we've had several visits from the diabetic teams from the two closest hospitals for diabetic students who are not newly diagnosed, so I'd say diabetic teams in our area routinely visit schools if parents want them too. I'd push for a visit. Your daughter needs to feel happy and confident that she can manage her diabetes in school and she is much more likely to feel this way if she is supported by her diabetic team. Good luck :)

Nutty72

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Really appreciate the info @wrobin, have felt completely let down from the beginning am on the cusp of changing hospitals and teams, will give them one last chance then we are out - thanks

1Sarah1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Yes my son (3) was also diagnosed in Dec and the team here have been going to the nursery twice a week since the start of term to teach the school how to administer insulin! Obviously it's different as he isn't able to administer the insulin himself but I would say they need to have a care plan in place and teachers need to know what to look out for in case of hypos!!
Hi I've just tried to pm you but for some reason it won't let me!

ACMH

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Insulin
Is it in your profile set up ACMH?x

Excuse me if I'm being silly but what do you mean?

I have had a look in settings and nothing related to private messages. I have also followed you to see if that helps but nada :(

ACMH

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Insulin
I have the answer! Need to make 16 posts before that function is enabled. It's to stop spammers...

Sorry for hijacking your thread @Nutty72!

HelenDen

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hello, our daughter also 11 was diagnosed this week. Our diabetes nurse has told us she's not allowed to go back to school until we've all had a meeting to set up a care plan and relevant staff have had refresher training. We only came out of hospital Thursday and we've had a home visit and several phone calls. And a further 3 appointments next week, the mind boggles !

JR84

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I was diagnosed at 11years. 32 now. My diabetic team didn't come into school nor was it offered. I am sure they would have though if we had requested it. Mum met with the school though and gave them all the info that the nurses had given us they spoke about what I needed etc. i had fantastic care as a child the diabetic nurses were always at the end of the phone.