GD Advice please- gestational diabetes now likely to be diabetic

Peanut2017

Type of diabetes
Gestational
Hi all
I'm a newbie to all this and in limbo.

I'm 8 weeks post delivery and was diagnosed with gestational diabetes at 36 weeks pregnant. I Was having symptoms of diabetes for about 3-4weeks- dry mouth, peeing lots.
Glucose in my urine- then had ogtt. Fasting 4.6 mols, 2 hour post Grandial 12mmols. Hb1ac 39. Was very well diet controlled. Baby weighted 71b 12. I had no family history, no risk factors apart from bmi, bmi was under 30 (so didn't fit the criteria for earlier ogtt).

Now when I was pregnant always thought it was strange as my fasting sugars were very good where as many ladies with gd fasting were a struggle. My ogtt post grandial was very high. Obs Consultant was wondering if I was diabetic previously however confused as my hb1ac was ok.

So post partum I continued with the gd diet 90% time to loose weight and to be honest I didn't want to go back to my normal diet as I was shocked how much sugar was in products. 10 days post partum - ate a medium thin crust pizza (to test) - an hour later - bm 11.1mmol two hours later 9.2mmols. GP and diabetes nurse says it can take gd a while to go.

8weeks later - weetabix x 2 with milk bm 8.3 an hour later. I'm convinced I still have diabetes and I never had gd. I have a feeling I have a start of LADA. In 8 weeks I have lost 3 stone ( 2 of this was pregnancy and I am breast feeding, Gp aware). No symptoms of high sugars such as dry mouth. This weight loss has done very little to my sugar control. Prior to pregnancy my weight was generally bum and hips. I have my hb1ac this week and have been asked to be tested for antibodies.

Anyone been in this similar situation. What are people's opinions?

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi @Peanut2017 :)

From memory, I think the time blood sugars are supposed to be back to normal is around 13wks but you're wise to raise your concerns with a doctor. Ladies who are mistakenly thought to have GD but actually have aType 1/LADA tend to need Indulin during pregnancy whereas you say you were diet-controlled.

However, getting checks is sensible.

Peanut2017

Type of diabetes
Gestational
Hi @Peanut2017 :)

From memory, I think the time blood sugars are supposed to be back to normal is around 13wks but you're wise to raise your concerns with a doctor. Ladies who are mistakenly thought to have GD but actually have aType 1/LADA tend to need Indulin during pregnancy whereas you say you were diet-controlled.

However, getting checks is sensible.

Thanks for the reply azure.
Can lada develop slowly? For type 2 wouldn't it improve when lost weight? Bmi is now 26.
Is it normal for people with diet controlled diabetes to have low blood sugars? I have had 3.7 then tested again 3.9 and I have been eating regularly. I think my pancreas is majorly confused.

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thanks for the reply azure.
Can lada develop slowly? For type 2 wouldn't it improve when lost weight? Bmi is now 26.
Is it normal for people with diet controlled diabetes to have low blood sugars? I have had 3.7 then tested again 3.9 and I have been eating regularly. I think my pancreas is majorly confused.

LADA does come on slowly. It's a slow-onset form of Type 1 basically.

Remember that the blood glucose meters have a margin of error, so a 3.7 could be, say, a 4.5. In addition, my consultant told me that people without diabetes sometimes have blood sugar in the high 3s.

I don't have Type 2 so can't comment on that, but some Type 2s are of normal weight and still have Type 2.

Good luck with your HbA1C test. Testing for antibodies would be useful too, but bear in mind not all people with LADA have antibodies. You could also ask for a C Peptide test which can give an idea of how much insulin you're producing.

Even if your HbA1C is ok, if ask for it to be repeated in a few months just to be sure.

Do let us know how you get on :)

Reactions: GrantGam

Peanut2017

Type of diabetes
Gestational

Remember that the blood glucose meters have a margin of error, so a 3.7 could be, say, a 4.5. In addition, my consultant told me that people without diabetes sometimes have blood sugar in the high 3s.

I don't have Type 2 so can't comment on that, but some Type 2s are of normal weight and still have Type 2.

Good luck with your HbA1C test. Testing for antibodies would be useful too, but bear in mind not all people with LADA have antibodies. You could also ask for a C Peptide test which can give an idea of how much insulin you're producing.

Even if your HbA1C is ok, if ask for it to be repeated in a few months just to be sure.

My GP says they probably will be doing the test every 3 months to see. I'm slightly concerned that as I've mostly followed a low gi diet and the hb1ac may not pick the diabetes up or just state a prediabetic reading. But saying that I'm not rushing to do another ogtt- that made me feel unwell. Hyperglycaemia symptoms suck.

Peanut2017

Type of diabetes
Gestational

They are getting me to do a ogtt in a couple of weeks time.... nervous as I know I'm going to fail it mazzively!

Had my hb1ac yesterday- awaiting my results.

Reactions: azure