Type 2 Advice please humulin m 3 or Basel bolus?

Goacher55

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi I'm type 2 ,taking 2 x 1000 glucophage, 4 x 80 gliclazide, recently moved from Victoria to humalin M3. My hba1c has improved massively from 9.1 to 6.9 over the past 4 months but I've put over a stone in weight on and had several hypos. I'm considering asking my dn to move from humulin m.3 to a basal bolus system. Any opinions or advice please?

cott97

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Type 2 on M3 after Victoza stopped working. I asked for in insulin and it was a struggle as they said you will put on weight. I said no I know that as my blood sugars rise I get hungry and eat, if they were in control I wouldn't. Went through a week of forxiga. Didn't agree with me so went on M3. I have lost 7lbs in 3 weeks even though I have lost my Dad in the last week and struggled with my sugars increasing. I am still producing my own insulin which I want to protect for as long as possible. My Dad died of vascular dementia not helped by heart disease as a result of smoking (which he immediately stopped) and undiagnosed T2 20 years ago. My mum also has T2 so much as I would like to reverse it and low carbing helps it isn't the only answer for me. I have found 2 injections a day a good introduction and my sugars have reduced. I believe I will eventually move into a basal/bolus regime but as a T2 I have the luxury of a slower introduction to insulin. The only other advice I would give is to take your own BS readings with you - I was told my last HBA1C was fine, I agreed but said it was clear from my meter that this was changing and that it would be terrible in 6 months without intervention now. That swayed my nurse and the info I had from this forum so that I could have an educated conversation. Switching to M3 has made a positive difference to me

cott97

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Sorry if you haven't tried low carbing it's worth a go as it makes a huge difference to the variation in my sugars and also means I don't need as much insulin.