ADVICE SOUGHT

Viv0147

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
there isn't much I dislike maybe rude and aggressive people
I am starting to wonder if it's time to ask my doctor about reducing my metformin? Over the last year I have lost 3 stone in weight and my blood sugar has gone from 17.5 to an average of 6.0 my fasting this morning was 6.2 my weight now is considered overweight I was considered obese I am on a low carb high fat lifestyle I am also on a clinical diabetes trial taking 2 tablets every morning 1 is a placebo and going to the hospital for tests each month over the next 18 months, I started 2 months ago but as explained to me the tablets won't affect the medication I am currently using.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Viv - Wouldn't like to say too much about adjusting your meds, except to suggest you ensure those on the trial you're participating on know about it, as it could have the potential to invalidate your participation if something they "need included" is removed from your regime.

However, I just wanted to say your new profile pic shows you're really trimming up! Really well done. You look really well. :)

Reactions: 2 people

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Those are some great changes!

I would agree that your study people need to know about any changes, but with their go ahead, definitely worth discussing the reduction in met with your doc or nurse, maybe as a trial to see what happens.

Reactions: 2 people

TorqPenderloin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
If it were me, I would weigh the trade offs of reducing your medication. What would be your reasoning for reducing your medication? Are you having issues with its side effects?

Getting down into the 6s is tremendous progress, but it sounds like you've utilized every approach available (to you) to get there. If it were me, I'd be concerned that my levels would increase as a result of reducing the metformin.

Again if it were me, I'd be asking to reduce my medication if my levels were in the 4s but not before getting to that point. At, say 4.5, you have a lot of room for fluctuation if the metformin really is working well. In the 6s, I'd be concerned that the metformin would push me into a range I wasn't comfortable with.

Short answer: if it's not causing any problems and it's working well, why change the equation? If it is causing problems, decide if they're worth the chance that your levels might climb.

Reactions: 3 people