Aerobic Fitness and Blood Pressure

oldnevada

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Sugar, in all it's iterations.
I've improved my body weight with jogging/running routines but it's taken ten years and it's been a roller coaster ride. I think I've licked it now though. I'm back into clothes I've kept for over ten years as motivators. I'm low carb-ing now don't like having a full stomach anymore.

My blood pressure slowly but steadily coming down. This morning it's been it's lowest, at 114/60. I ran 5km+ last night. I've never seen it that low. But it's been steadily dropping since I started dropping weight. I've been on lisinopril (blood pressure meds) for several years now and have been borderline hypertensive since my early twenties.

I'm kind of hoping that my diabetes (T2) will go into remission as others have met with that kind of success. My MD said I will never go into remission. I'm 70yrs old now since late last fall.

Anyone else seen great improvements with their BP? (my BG is always well controlled.)

Gary

Reactions: JAT1

Lainie71

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
The term "big boned" lol repeatedly told this growing up!
By the sounds of it you are doing fantastically well and I would carry on as you are doing. My dn told me she had never seen anyone drop their levels with out meds, but hey I proved her wrong and I took great pleasure in telling her! I also dropped my bp meds too after losing 3.5 stone with diet and exercise. I don't think I will ever not be diabetic as it will rear its ugly head if I slip up, but I am happy to carry on as I am! I pay no attention to the nay sayers and I am not advising you medically, but I do think you should remind your md what you have achieved. There's loads of people that have turned their diabetes around why would you be any different ;)

Reactions: oldnevada

oldnevada

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Sugar, in all it's iterations.
By the sounds of it you are doing fantastically well and I would carry on as you are doing. My dn told me she had never seen anyone drop their levels with out meds, but hey I proved her wrong and I took great pleasure in telling her! I also dropped my bp meds too after losing 3.5 stone with diet and exercise. I don't think I will ever not be diabetic as it will rear its ugly head if I slip up, but I am happy to carry on as I am! I pay no attention to the nay sayers and I am not advising you medically, but I do think you should remind your md what you have achieved. There's loads of people that have turned their diabetes around why would you be any different ;)
Thanks @Lainie71
That feedback is so encouraging.
Yes, I will let my M.D. know my progress next visit/bloodwork. I keep on forgetting to ask for my Hb1Ac value though.
Yeah, when I weighed 270lbs, way back, I kept my clothes aside as an incentive to work off the weight. For most my outdoor clothes, especially my Tilley's, it's payed off for most of them. I just have to drop one more size then I can get back into my 38's. I can't believe I let myself go so bad. But I was terribly sick with PTSD and yoyo's something terrible. But I'll tell ya, I love those endorphin highs after a good stiff run. That and my Garmin HRM. Anyway, I've reached a successful level.

So glad to hear that you dropped your BP. Yeah, I was at 135-40/80 for the longest while, then of course as I lost fat around my waist,, my BP began to drop. I was SO surprised to see it at 114/60 and just too pleased about it. Maybe my M.D. will see fit I won't need the Lisinopril any longer, hope so.

Hey, congrats, and cheers!!

Gary

• Friendly
Reactions: Lainie71

marty313

I'm kind of hoping that my diabetes (T2) will go into remission as others have met with that kind of success. My MD said I will never go into remission. I'm 70yrs old now since late last fall.

Anyone else seen great improvements with their BP? (my BG is always well controlled.)

Gary

I am 59,183 cm, 87 kg. 4 years ago I started getting insulin resistance on top of my DM1 (which I have since 2004).
I got rid of insulin resistance by losing 15 kg (I was 100 kg in 2019) through some dietary adjustments (no more cake, only 70+ % cocoa chocolate) combined with aggressive training (triathlon).
My blood pressure was slightly elevated all along and I actually increased telmisartan from 20 to 40 mg per day. With that, I am around 120/80 mm Hg.
Weight loss is beneficial in many ways but it doesn't necessarily cure hypertension.

Rayvon

I've improved my body weight with jogging/running routines but it's taken ten years and it's been a roller coaster ride. I think I've licked it now though. I'm back into clothes I've kept for over ten years as motivators. I'm low carb-ing now don't like having a full stomach anymore.

My blood pressure slowly but steadily coming down. This morning it's been it's lowest, at 114/60. I ran 5km+ last night. I've never seen it that low. But it's been steadily dropping since I started dropping weight. I've been on lisinopril (blood pressure meds) for several years now and have been borderline hypertensive since my early twenties.

Gary
Hi Gary, that's great, never give up..my example..I'm 74,T.2 for 23 years,bs very erratic over the years but never any real problems with blood pressure levels..at moment normal is 110/70... anyway at my peak was 210lbs weight... about 3 years ago started developing serious gut problems.vomiting, diahorhea, stomach cramps etc...couldnt keep any food down...tests etc re gluten food intolerances discovered nothing, but consequently lost a lot of weight quickly..no nutrition was being retained...well 3 months ago I decided to go to Thailand.. can't stand UK winters...my nurse friend here immediately put me on a low carb high protein diet and a 2 hour fitness regime in the gym every day..I've always been a gym person but not to this extent.. can't use treadmill as severe back issues and pain..too many injuries.. well I use rowing machine and bike and weights...in the last 3 months my bs has normalised without my usual 2 Metformin a day.and my weight is 154lbs..6'0".I'm still diabetic as far as I'm concerned as bs will go to 9 on occasions but I am at the stage where I don't really need to test frequent as I know by my new regime what my bs Will roughly be...it's a great feeling, no gut problems either anymore so my friend puts it down to bad gut bacteria from rubbish food...so there's hope for everyone, keep persevering and good luck

Reactions: andromache