After 3 months of carb counting..

JJ0407

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I was dianosed at the beginning of April as having T2 diabetes. I am relatively young and it did hit me quite hard at the start. I knew carbs had a big part to play on blood sugars so decided I would restrict my carb intake as well as cut all the usual sugary foods and drink. I no longer eat cakes. or chocolate or biscuits. I don't drink very often, but when I did it was beer or cider which I've stopped. I no longer have pizza, pasta, or potatoes. I try and stick with protein and lower carb foods such as cauli, green beans, salads etc. I do have some foods I know aren't 'good' I can't kick my bread habit, and I'm having some fruit which is probably at the higher end of the GI table, but you still have to live right!

Anyway,after a few weeks of feeling sorry for myself the above plan was put into action so it was the latter end of April really. A great side effect of low carbing is weightloss. At present I've lost 21lbs, but I'm still massively overweight. The main thing is that my HBA1C has reduced... greatly! In early April it was a staggering 78, last week I got the latest results which have dropped to 44!

I was speechless! I'm now in the 'prediabetic' range and while I don't think I can improve my diet much more I can still lose weight which will hopefully have an impact on those numbers too. I am not naive, I know this is control rather than cure. I know I cannot rest of my laurels and it's a a way of life now otherwise my BG will rocket again, but my god it feels super good to know that I have made a massive difference in only 3 months. My doctor wanted me on metformin right away, but my friendly Diabetic nurse wanted to see if I could reduce them on my own. I'm really looking forward to seeing her next week and finding out what the next plan is regarding my diabetes.

I just want to let some people know that while it feels so restrictive to cut or reduce carbs it can have a massive impact and to stick with it.

Reactions: 13 people

cold ethyl

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Well done on all those positive changes - you must be really pleased with your resuit. It's all about finding a diet that works for you and that you can stick to so I think that the odd slice of bread and some fruit is ok if it means you stick to the plan.

Reactions: 4 people

HA3

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Well done. Nice to see all the hard work pay off. Keep it up. I too have struggled to break my bread habit but do now only eat burgen soya and linseed which I like and it doesn't spike me anywhere near what white bread does. May be worth a try. x

Reactions: 2 people

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Well done. Nice to see all the hard work pay off. Keep it up. I too have struggled to break my bread habit but do now only eat burgen soya and linseed which I like and it doesn't spike me anywhere near what white bread does. May be worth a try. x

I couldn't live normally without bread. It has been part of my life for 60 odd years and without it I would not sustain my low carb diet. I eat one slice of Hovis wholemeal 7 seeds with a meal. It is lovely and thick, and stuffed full of seeds. It doesn't spike me as long as I have no other carbs with that meal, so I can have poached eggs on toast, cheese on toast, or bread with my salads and toast with my bacon and egg fry ups without upsetting my blood sugars. I'm happy.

Reactions: 7 people

peacetrain

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I couldn't live normally without bread. It has been part of my life for 60 odd years and without it I would not sustain my low carb diet. I eat one slice of Hovis wholemeal 7 seeds with a meal. It is lovely and thick, and stuffed full of seeds. It doesn't spike me as long as I have no other carbs with that meal, so I can have poached eggs on toast, cheese on toast, or bread with my salads and toast with my bacon and egg fry ups without upsetting my blood sugars. I'm happy.
I seem to remember advising someone about toast a few weeks ago. So many things you can put on it. I have 1 slice of burgen about 3 times a week. As you say, I make sure I don't have other carbs with it. My grandchildren aged 6 and 7 love burgen and hovis too. Now they've tried the 85% chocolate and they love that too!! Can't I keep anything to myself !! :)

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Reactions: 9 people

Harpar

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
God I am so jealous. But first off, well done JJ that is an excellent result. But oh my, would I love to be able to eat bread. At the moment I do occasionally. I bake a gluten free, slice it, and freeze it. I might then have just 1 small slice about once a month max. Don't have burgen bread here, wouldn't eat it anyway because of the soy. But, yes, just occasionally, poached egg on toast, yum.

Reactions: 4 people

JohnD54

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Rice
Burgen bread my lifesaver, can do without the sweet things, chocs, cakes etc but have to be able to have my toast in the morning.

Congratulations and keep up the good work. Not always easy but well done.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Khanh Nam

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
For low carb diets, please try the DAS (Dr Anh's Secrete Diet) revised from LCHF of Dr. Atkins. Many are now following it.

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
For low carb diets, please try the DAS (Dr Anh's Secrete Diet) revised from LCHF of Dr. Atkins. Many are now following it.
That's a low carb high protein diet and diabetics need to watch their protein intake as a lot have impaired kidney function

kimbo1962

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I was dianosed at the beginning of April as having T2 diabetes. I am relatively young and it did hit me quite hard at the start. I knew carbs had a big part to play on blood sugars so decided I would restrict my carb intake as well as cut all the usual sugary foods and drink. I no longer eat cakes. or chocolate or biscuits. I don't drink very often, but when I did it was beer or cider which I've stopped. I no longer have pizza, pasta, or potatoes. I try and stick with protein and lower carb foods such as cauli, green beans, salads etc. I do have some foods I know aren't 'good' I can't kick my bread habit, and I'm having some fruit which is probably at the higher end of the GI table, but you still have to live right!

Anyway,after a few weeks of feeling sorry for myself the above plan was put into action so it was the latter end of April really. A great side effect of low carbing is weightloss. At present I've lost 21lbs, but I'm still massively overweight. The main thing is that my HBA1C has reduced... greatly! In early April it was a staggering 78, last week I got the latest results which have dropped to 44!

I was speechless! I'm now in the 'prediabetic' range and while I don't think I can improve my diet much more I can still lose weight which will hopefully have an impact on those numbers too. I am not naive, I know this is control rather than cure. I know I cannot rest of my laurels and it's a a way of life now otherwise my BG will rocket again, but my god it feels super good to know that I have made a massive difference in only 3 months. My doctor wanted me on metformin right away, but my friendly Diabetic nurse wanted to see if I could reduce them on my own. I'm really looking forward to seeing her next week and finding out what the next plan is regarding my diabetes.

I just want to let some people know that while it feels so restrictive to cut or reduce carbs it can have a massive impact and to stick with it.
Amazing results jj !! I'm only 3 weeks into lchf and 3 1/2 weeks since diagnosed and I feel so different already!! Diagnosed at 7.2 (some say that's low???) Told ideally should be 6 or 5........3 weeks in and I'm mid 5's mostly during the day and mid 6's after eating so I'm getting somewhere!! Without the info I've learnt from here I know I wouldn't be doing as well as no real positive advice given at the gp's, can't wait for my check-in and provide them with my results so far!!

Last edited by a moderator:

mrs gimli

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Racists or hatred. Disrespect for people.
Well done that's fantastic