After the needle, a red dot...

MikeTurin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello, sometimes when I prick my finger after cleaning it I notice a reddish dot, like in this photo. Doesn't, make pain but I feel it.

Normally I use alcohol at 95% could it be the reason?
I think k that peroxide isn't a good choice to disinfect....

IMG_20170211_152048.jpg

Alison Campbell

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Goodness, are you rotating test fingers? Can you turn the lancing to a lower setting or change the lancet? Can I ask what blood glucose monitor the lancing device came with I hear some are more agressive than others. I don't use alcohol wipes and I cannot even see my pre lunch test site now.

Johnjoe13

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I agree with @Alison Campbell make sure you are alternating your sites and maybe try a different setting, maybe even a different lancet? The higher the gauge the smaller the perforation and less irritation and smaller wound. I use a 28g and I think they go upto 33g. I don't use swabs either, just a good wash and rinse of the hands does me and i've never had any issue even with doing about 6 or 7 tests a day

Catherine4188

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hello,

I am experiencing similar marks and even bruising all along the side of the pad of my finger. I'm having to squeeze a lot to get enough blood to test at times which I think is making it worse. I have been given a different lancing device which is less painful so maybe a change is device would help?

miahara

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello,

I am experiencing similar marks and even bruising all along the side of the pad of my finger. I'm having to squeeze a lot to get enough blood to test at times which I think is making it worse. I have been given a different lancing device which is less painful so maybe a change is device would help?
Have you tried heating your hand in a basin of hot water before you test?

ElkBond

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Try and pick up an accu chek fastclix, the needles/ lancet is thinner and fires forward straighter than generic lancets. Most lancets have too much freedom of movement so when they fire and hit your finger they kind of rebound and end up making a split or larger hole than required. Can not recommend these enough as I had similar issues with the few that came with my free meters.

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Using alcohol wipes will toughen your skin making it harder to pierce your skin - it's what guitarists use to toughen their fingers so they don't cut their fingers on the strings - I have always been told not to use them and the best thing is warm soapy water then dry well.

To be honest I just run mine under a hot tap and dry with kitchen paper - moisturising you hands will help keep the skin soft too - but remember to do this after you test not before as the ingredients in the moisturiser could skew your results.

MikeTurin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Using alcohol wipes will toughen your skin making it harder to pierce your skin - it's what guitarists use to toughen their fingers so they don't cut their fingers on the strings
It could be the cause - Maybe I should thry to clean with more gentle disinfectants...
Goodness, are you rotating test fingers? Can you turn the lancing to a lower setting or change the lancet?
I rotate the fingers an the hands, and sometimes all goes ok, but sometimes I got this after effect.
I' ve tried the fastclix but even at 6 set I have problems to get a droblet of blood big enough. I use other Roche lancets made for healthcare andhospitals https://www.medisave.co.uk/accuchek-safetpro-uno-lancets-pack-of-200-p-101317.html

Alison Campbell

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I think testing should be as comfortable as possible. We are all different, do you work with your hands? If it was me I would go back to a lancing pen and try the warm water trick.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@MikeTurin - How long does the red mark remain on your finger? It looks to me like it could be a little bruise.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I press lightly to the finger, just to be sure that doesn't move when I pull the yellow trigger.

I just have the tip barely touching on my finger. Unless you move it a huge amount, exactly where you puncture isn't that important, is it?

I also don't puncture anywhere on the pad of my fingers. I use far further around the side or closer to the nail. Initially, I thought that closer to the nail it would be much more sensitive, but actually it isn't.

You could experiment a lighter touch for a few days and see how it goes.