Airport security while wearing a Libre

indyjholtzmann

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I've only just thought about this actually but I travel around a fair bit and go through my fair share of airports (I'm going through four alone in January). I was just wondering if people have had problems or trouble going through airport security while they have a Libre sensor attached?

I'm assuming the reader is fine to go through an x-ray scanner like my phone but what about the sensor? For some reason I always seem to set off the metal detector (still don't know why or how) so is it ok in a body scanner if I let security know first? Just want to reassure myself really!

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
You should be fine .... and whilst airlines dictate security standards, so does the airport thru which you're passing. The sensitivity you refer to is down to scanner settings. Just tell 'em

They'd be in for hell if they gave you a hard time over that

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've only just thought about this actually but I travel around a fair bit and go through my fair share of airports (I'm going through four alone in January). I was just wondering if people have had problems or trouble going through airport security while they have a Libre sensor attached?

I'm assuming the reader is fine to go through an x-ray scanner like my phone but what about the sensor? For some reason I always seem to set off the metal detector (still don't know why or how) so is it ok in a body scanner if I let security know first? Just want to reassure myself really!

Hi @indyjholtzmann ,

Yep, for some reason, I trip the metal detector too..

Security are pretty clued up on D stuff. I've had more focus on a guitar pedal & a pack of Mars bars than anything else..

Have a great trip!

Leeannea

Type of diabetes
LADA
Hi. I rang Abbott who make the Libre and asked them this very question. They reassured me that the scanner would not affect the sensor, so don’t worry.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi again,

Just thought... @RFSMarch does a far bit of traveling, I believe. & has a Libre..

RFSMarch

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Did someone call?.. I flew hither and thither around the US of A (and I am one of these suspicious foreign types that Mr Trump probably doesn't like the look of) and I had a laminated certificate which has pictures of the Libre and sensors that my GP signed... not ONE person wanted to see it. Not one issue through the scanners.

In fact... because I now have to carry a mahusive wallet with my meds and boxes of spare sensors in my laptop bag instead of a gazillion chargers, I was never once pulled over for them to have a closer look at the electronics. If anyone wants a word or PDF version of the certificate to get the GP to sign, please just send me a DM.

Reactions: indyjholtzmann

indyjholtzmann

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Great! Thank you so much! I know I've never had a problem with my needles and insulin going through so good to know that my Libre will ok too. They always want a better look at my shoes than anything else...

Yorkey

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi ! Just one thing to add (hope it helps) before I travelled, I too called to check the sensor would be ok through security, the one thing they did recommend, was to always carry your spare sensors with you as hand luggage as if they are in your suitcase in the hold, the low temperatures will probably render them useless !!! Glad they told me that, as that's where I had packed my sensor prior to the phone call

Reactions: indyjholtzmann

indyjholtzmann

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi ! Just one thing to add (hope it helps) before I travelled, I too called to check the sensor would be ok through security, the one thing they did recommend, was to always carry your spare sensors with you as hand luggage as if they are in your suitcase in the hold, the low temperatures will probably render them useless !!! Glad they told me that, as that's where I had packed my sensor prior to the phone call
Good to know! I tend to carry a lot of my diabetic stuff in my hand luggage anyway, just in case my hold luggage goes missing somewhere along the line. Hasn't happened yet but rather be safe than sorry ^^