Al this hot weather ... too many hypos

ann34+

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi all, I have to say I am pleased to hear that its going to be raining in my part of the country soon (West Sussex) as these extremely hot days are a nightmare for me. On average 2-3 hypos a day despite the fact Im dropping my pump levels by 10 or 20% - is anyone else having the same problem? Would love to know if you are and how you tackle it?
Hi, sallymac65, i just answered the post re heat on the main Type one site - i find its a lot easier on the pump , than when i was on injections. Now i just reduce everything, and, if that looks like it may not work , i suspend the pump now and again. Today (yesterday, now) I suspended for 7 hours, it was infusion set change anyway, so i took it all off for 4 hours of the 7 - with a porcine insulin this is possible in the heat, as the insulin from a bolus lasts longer. I don't think this would work for someone on other insulins, but i imagine reducing the base rate even more might? I find it is this humid heat that has this effect - but as the weather changes all will mess up - only a few days ago control unpredictable, and using 50% more insulin than yesterday. Many years ago my then consultant remarked 'wait until the weather settles' as i left the consultation after discussing up/down control......

Last edited by a moderator:

Gemmablower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you @Riri and @CarbsRok for the advice x yes it is like the bloody lottery sometimes, she must have had blue socks on those days of spikes maybe that's why!! Sure you feel my pain Grrrrrrr

Reactions: 3 people