Aldi recognise the low carb community

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Good to see they are acknowledging low carb, however they are leaving us to work out how low the carbs are for each recipe, as there’s no nutritional info as far as I can see!

Margarettt

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Good to see they are acknowledging low carb, however they are leaving us to work out how low the carbs are for each recipe, as there’s no nutritional info as far as I can see!
So glad you said that @Rachox .I clicked on it all excited because I live very near an Aldi.I was disappointed there was no nutritional info but thinking maybe everyone else just works it out and I'm the only one that finds that hard work!

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
So glad you said that @Rachox .I clicked on it all excited because I live very near an Aldi.I was disappointed there was no nutritional info but thinking maybe everyone else just works it out and I'm the only one that finds that hard work!
It’s such a shame, yes we can work the values out but by promoting low carb, you’d think they would at least work it out for us!

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Some nice ideas, but not all are low carb, or as low carb as I need them to be.
The nut and seed bars have 100ml of maple syrup, sticky chicken has honey and chicken was stuffed with quinoa

Reactions: LivingLightly

LivingLightly

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Some nice ideas, but not all are low carb, or as low carb as I need them to be.
The nut and seed bars have 100ml of maple syrup, sticky chicken has honey and chicken was stuffed with quinoa
Savoury recipes named 'sticky' this or that are definitely a red flag. Alas, most of today's chefs and cookery writers seem unable to create savoury dishes without adding either maple syrup, honey or caster sugar.

Perhaps no nutritional info was published, because some of these meals, not to mention the accompaniments suggested, are simply not low in carbs. Still, let's hope their competitors are watching and it starts a trend.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I’m going to defend the post by saying I admitted I hadn’t read them. I’m just glad to see they are at least trying to get with the low carb message even if they aren’t there yet. I’m thinking of emailing them with a critique of the recipes once I’ve had chance. Perhaps others could do likewise and potentially “educate” them.

I wonder who advised them?

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
They are lower carb though - the one with honey (sticky chicken I think) actually works out at a teaspoon of honey per portion which isn’t as bad as it seems - when I was doing 90g carb a day I would have made that recipe and coped with it. There is one with 500g of Charlotte potato’s which is 125g pot per portion about 2 or 3 golf ball size potato- perfectly feasible on a lower carb diet.

They aren’t saying that they are keto or very low carb just low carb. It’s generally thought of in the low carb world that low carb begins at 130g a day - which these recipes would fit that brief

Before you all flame me I’m just playing devils advocate here ;)

Margarettt

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Before you all flame me I’m just playing devils advocate here ;)
No flaming here. I think that's why its so disappointing there is no nutritional info on the recipes because low carb means different things to different people. I have a niece who only eats three quarters of the mashed potato on her plate because she is "watching her carbs"

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
which is 125g pot per portion
With 125 grams of pot in my meal, the last thing I'd worry about is the carbs! :cool:o_O Must taste horrible too.
(Sorry, I'll get my coat now. :bag:, It was only after 3rd time reading I realised it's an abbreviation of potatoes.)

That said, it's a good start, and it looks like most of those recipes are significantly lower carb than a typical eatwell meal, big win!
the one with honey (sticky chicken I think) actually works out at a teaspoon of honey per portion which isn’t as bad as it seems - when I was doing 90g carb a day I would have made that recipe and coped with it.
You can use a teaspoon of honey even on a keto type diet, can't be much more than 5 grams of carbs. I love panfried chicory with a tiny splash of balsamic vinegar and the smallest dusting of icing sugar to help caramelisation. Makes all the difference in flavour, and a large portion still comes in at under 6 grams of carbs.

A breakdown of the nutritional information would be very helpful though.

Reactions: HSSS and aylalake