ALFREZZA INSULIN

brendan101

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Can anybody tell us when Alfrezza will be available in the UK or at what stage of approval we are at? It seems like a great insulin!

Heathenlass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It's my understanding that It is being prescribed in some places in the UK , but specifically for certain conditions where MDI is not an option. It has not been approved by NICE as yet.

It's probable that the recommendations when they are released will be that it remains available only for such cases, as cost is a big issue , plus it's not suitable for everyone . Sadly, there are still areas that will not prescribe Tresiba, even when there would be a definite benefit to the patient , again, because of cost :( Diabetes is unfortunately one of the areas that is under scrutiny for cost cutting generally, for example the replacement of meters and the restriction/refusal of test strips for Type 2's .

Signy

Reactions: 2 people

brendan101

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks for the update Heathenlass. Do you know if Alfrezza is being prescribed in Sussex? Pray tell how do I put my case forward?

Heathenlass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks for the update Heathenlass. Do you know if Alfrezza is being prescribed in Sussex? Pray tell how do I put my case forward?

As far as I'm aware, it's prescribed on an individual basis, so presumably would include Sussex if you meet the rather stringent criteria ;) . The only way you could put your case forward is by discussing this with your consultant, or your DSN at least . The worst that can happen is that they say no ;)

Signy

brendan101

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Great stuff. I am meeting with my endo next week and have already written a detailed letter to her outlining my 'issues' with diabetes and the current regime.

brendan101

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Heathenlass, do you work in the field of diabetes or from where have you received the info regarding ALfrezza being prescribed on an individual basis?