Alopecia of the beard

joelcam

Hi all,

I'm not a big beardy bloke but I noticed a bald patch the size of a 5p piece in my regrowth recently. I've done some research and found out you can get alopecia in your beard!

Just wondered if any T1's have had anything similar? Although this post is really aimed at the men, if you are a bearded lady, feel free to answer too!

JC

marvkat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi,
I'm a type 2 and a girl, but I do suffer from alopecia on my head.
From what I've read it is an autoimmune disorder as is type 1 diabetes and aparently you are more prone to develop others once you have one.
Hopefully it isn't causing you too much distress, my current bout seems to have slowed down since I stopped stressing as much about life in general :lol:

Patch

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I have a bald spot on my beard - about the size of a 10p piece. On my right cheek.

Don't know if it's alopecia - I did pluch a few hairs their once that were in-growing, and they never grew back! :cry:

Scardoc

DON'T PLUCK YOUR BEARD FOR PLUCK'S SAKE!!

Seriously, around 6 years ago I started doing that for noe or two in grown hairs and it only encouraged more. Then, when I was stressed I started doing it more..... then came a very stressful time and more plucking! It looked awful if I didn't shave and any growth, even a day or two, would reveal patches which just don't look good. I ended up at the doc and she wasn't interested in the patches, only why I was doing it. Lecture over.

Back to the OP - no experience of that other than self inflicted but I recon my hairline has receded a lot more since being diagnosed and my balding patch (emphasis on the -ing!) is growing every day :(

In general, I think us diabetics can pretty much blame everything that happens on our diabetes.

BioHaZarD

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I woul quite like my beard to fall out I can't stand shaving any more. I am currently doing a good impression of Grizzly Adams.....

Hobs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
Argumenative barstifferous (new word *lol*) types who think that they know everything *wink*
As an aging T2 I can report that I've thinning head hair in the centre and one side of my face started to grow at half the rate of the other about a year ago (I'm 69) and it has not improved even a little. About twelve weeks ago I also noticed a little bald patch half way up the cheek of the slow side so decided to clean shave and start again. The same problems showed up again so now I keep just a goatee to please my far superior half ( :wink: ) and put the problem down to diabetes induced alopecia :shrug:
If anyone knows another cause, I'll be keen to read their response :thumbup: :wave: