Type 2 alternative to metformin?

debpre

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Appointment next week with DN and it will be the usual tale of your BS is too high as is my weight. I have constantly struggled with my weight and the use of metformin which creates untold problems with my insides.
Question is ,Is there a better medication which creates fewer issues than metformin? Some seem to create other difficulties and also weight gain. I wou;d be excited to lose weight but I cannot seem to get to grips with the low carb diet! so the usual once a year angst! Any suggestions?

Voodoorising

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Debpre, there is a slow release version of metformin that might be easier on your stomach and other issues allot ask for it if it's causing an issue. I was offered it if I had problems but fortunately I seem to be ok on the regular metformin.

As for weight lose I can't help as I think it's personal fight I don't know what you eat or what your diet is but for me LCHF works I lost 3 stone and feel much healthier and my BS is relatively low.

I am sure some one with greater wisdom will tell you more, I am only 11 months i

Phoenix55

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
There are alternatives but, as you say, they all create issues. Eating to your meter is a good way to work out what is causing your high bg levels and then doing something about changing your diet. Three weeks on a lower carb diet and my work colleagues were noticing my weight loss before I had because I didn't bother weighing myself regularly. The weight I lost has stayed off too.

It is no good complaining that it is 'the usual tale' if you do not do something to change the tale. How high does your DN regard as being too high. Mine thought initial reading of 6.6 followed by diagnostic test of 6.7 after 3 months was high enough to warrant metformin. I decided that I had tried to follow her advice of the 'Eatwell plate' and would end up on medication for life, so I had to try something else and that had to work first time. So I tried LC and 3 months later the Dr agreed that I did not need medication. It is up to you what you do, only you know your situation but you want to come off metformin and not progress towards heavier medication so...

debpre

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Debpre, there is a slow release version of metformin that might be easier on your stomach and other issues allot ask for it if it's causing an issue. I was offered it if I had problems but fortunately I seem to be ok on the regular metformin.

As for weight lose I can't help as I think it's personal fight I don't know what you eat or what your diet is but for me LCHF works I lost 3 stone and feel much healthier and my BS is relatively low.

I am sure some one with greater wisdom will tell you more, I am only 11 months i

debpre

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I am on slow release already and have tried suggestions on this forum on various ways to take it but still upsets my stomach!

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am on slow release already and have tried suggestions on this forum on various ways to take it but still upsets my stomach!
After my experience with slow release metformin causing bleeding gastritis and low ferritin levels, I wouldn't stay on them for long if you are getting pain under your left rib cage. I agree with the suggestions to try a lower carb diet if you haven't already changed your diet.