Am I being a grumpy old git or what

ElyDave

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Wife's birthday today, her sister in law who joined us for the meal is a non-egg eating vegetarian who also does not like goats cheese.

My wife got the restarant to give us three choices fr starter, main dessert. All veggie which is no problem, but all carb centric - starters involving gingerbread, potatoes and root veggies, mains being pasta, risotto, roast squash.

Am I being a grumpy old b@st@rd when I see this as taking account of others dietary needs and ignoring mine, and essentially being a point of unnecessary stress?

I eventually went for a goats cheese salad they made for me, more goats cheese and roast squash and the fruit based dessert with least added sugar ( a cheese option would have been nice, having lacked dairy in the rest of the meal)

Rant over, tell me if i'm being cynical and ridiculous.

Reactions: 5 people

VinnyJames

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Always check the restaurant in advance. Find 3 that work for you and your wife then present it to sis in law as a choice.

Reactions: 2 people

Diamattic

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
No way man!

Its your wife, its a bit rude of someone to account for one persons dietary need and not someone elses.. If you are going to give special treatment you should at least do it for everyone.

I would be kinda ****** if I was in that situation..

Reactions: 4 people

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Since your dietary requirements are rather vital to your health,and well being, and the picky vegetarian diet is simply a lifestyle choice, I think you have every right to have a fit of the grumps. I would have been severely pi**ed off too.

Robbity

Reactions: 7 people

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Guess it's not just me then.
I was actually driving to meet my relations in the pub shortly after being diagnosed.
My wife answered the phone.
'They're stopping serving, can we order food, what do you want?'
'What's the menu?' I said
''Oh, I dont know, can't we just order you fish and chips?'

Now, bear in mind I was recently diagnosed, and was being very low GI, I hadn't had a chip for a month, or battered fish.

She seemed surprised when I stopped the car, and got out to take a walk outside.
She followed me out.
'They (my sister in law) knows a diabetic, and she says it will be ok for you.'

Then she got back in the car, after I told her my opinion.
Bit frosty later!

Reactions: 2 people

DeejayR

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
It's pretty clear that if we don't take care of our own diabetes no one else is going to (present company excepted), so we must do and say whatever it takes. I've been very lucky so far since there's only two of us at home, we hardly ever go out and I do all the catering.

leeemerick

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Medical reason definitely trumps lifestyle choice! It's like saying to a peanut allergy sufferer you are going to a peanut restaurant (if it existed) as the friend will only eat peanuts!

Reactions: 10 people

Nuthead

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
No. Your diet is dedicated to a particular health need. Not a fad or belief or lifestyle choice.
snowman-040.gif

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Vegetarians should have some choice available but this limited choice should never be imposed on others. I would also be grumpy.

VinnyJames

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
It's all about compromise and we diabetics can meet people halfway.

Whe

A

Avocado Sevenfold

Hi Dave

Who chose the restaurant? You need to get in there quicker next year and choose the restaurant for your wife's birthday. It may be seen as a romantic guesture. Win-win.

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Michael Gove and his insane educational? policies!
Wife's birthday today, her sister in law who joined us for the meal is a non-egg eating vegetarian who also does not like goats cheese.

My wife got the restarant to give us three choices fr starter, main dessert. All veggie which is no problem, but all carb centric - starters involving gingerbread, potatoes and root veggies, mains being pasta, risotto, roast squash.

Am I being a grumpy old b@st@rd when I see this as taking account of others dietary needs and ignoring mine, and essentially being a point of unnecessary stress?

I eventually went for a goats cheese salad they made for me, more goats cheese and roast squash and the fruit based dessert with least added sugar ( a cheese option would have been nice, having lacked dairy in the rest of the meal)

Rant over, tell me if i'm being cynical and ridiculous.
I would have been ****** off too. Sister in law is ethics. Yours is a life threatening medical condition! Feel free to vent! I am!
I probably shouldn't be posting since bs been all over this evening bordering on hypo (didn't have time for food due to work) and then to top it off have got nits. :mad:

Reactions: 5 people

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I would have been ****ed off too. Sister in law is ethics. Yours is a life threatening medical condition! Feel free to vent! I am!
I probably shouldn't be posting since bs been all over this evening bordering on hypo (didn't have time for food due to work) and then to top it off have got nits. :mad:

Bl**dy kids!

Reactions: 6 people

Nuthead

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I would have been ****ed off too. Sister in law is ethics. Yours is a life threatening medical condition! Feel free to vent! I am!
I always enjoy reading your posts and always end up laughing... !
argh.gif

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Michael Gove and his insane educational? policies!
Guess it's not just me then.
I was actually driving to meet my relations in the pub shortly after being diagnosed.
My wife answered the phone.
'They're stopping serving, can we order food, what do you want?'
'What's the menu?' I said
''Oh, I dont know, can't we just order you fish and chips?'

Now, bear in mind I was recently diagnosed, and was being very low GI, I hadn't had a chip for a month, or battered fish.

She seemed surprised when I stopped the car, and got out to take a walk outside.
She followed me out.
'They (my sister in law) knows a diabetic, and she says it will be ok for you.'

Then she got back in the car, after I told her my opinion.
Bit frosty later!
I think I would have dropped them all off and gone on to an eating place of my choice and said I'd be back when I'd eaten. I probably would have said a whole lot of rude things which are not suitable in the presence of children but bearing in mind they hear it at school they might as well hear it from their parents first.....:D
Yes I am a terrible mother. :rolleyes: But don't tell my kids;)

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I think I would have dropped them all off and gone on to an eating place of my choice and said I'd be back when I'd eaten. I probably would have said a whole lot of rude things which are not suitable in the presence of children but bearing in mind they hear it at school they might as well hear it from their parents first.....:D
Yes I am a terrible mother. :rolleyes: But don't tell my kids;)

If you ever dump your hubby, we could be Mr and Mrs Spratt. ;)