Am i Diabetic?

Belton

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
0900 this morning Fasting 9.3.
I have not been to the doctors yet.
A week ago I started taking readings and tried to Understand what was going on. Do I, Don't I have diabetes.
At 78 yearsand 13 stone I cut out cakes, bread, potatoes and tried to eat carefully and lost about 4 Lbs.
taking various readings during past week. 2 hours after, and overnight fasting my readings have been btween6.3 & 8.7.
So this mornings reading has rung alarm bells. I will take a letter to my doctor and then wait the standard 3 weeks for an appointment.
Oh! by the way my last night's meal at 1800 hrs was cooked meal without potatoes, 2 pork sausages(plenty meat) and plenty of vegetables. any comments or suggestions would be most welcome. I am about to start on a big learning curve.
What do carbohydrate readings mean when it states "of which ?% are sugar"

Reactions: callyandy
S

Shar67

Whilst your readings are high, you would need a hba1c test.
Sausages are not the best food for low carbing, you should be looking at proper meat. Also though you said you didnt eat potatoes other root veg can be high in carbs
You should look at whole % of carbs not just the lower sugars.

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Do I, Don't I have diabetes.
What do carbohydrate readings mean when it states "of which ?% are sugar"

Hi @Belton Only a full HbA1c blood test can determine whether or not you are diabetic. Your GP should arrange one if he/she thinks you may have high blood sugar levels.
Well done on cutting out the bread and potatoes. Pasta, rice and beer are the other main culprits. The sausages are ok if they have a high meat content, the higher the better as otherwise the remainder is probably going to be a cereal filler.
The readings you should look for is the carbohydrate total which will include sugar. The total figure is important as the carbohydrates turn to sugar in our bodies, so 20% carbohydrates is really 20% sugar.
You should eat products which have less than 10% carbohydrates, and preferably less than 5% carbohydrates,

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
You do need to see your doctor and have the Hba1c test, which measures how high the average blood glucose has been over the last several months.
I eat low carb and my readings are normal for after eating, but my level of glucose when I wake up is always high, which defines me as diabetic. I do sleep badly as my husband does and he is constantly disturbing me all through the night, which doesn't help with the blood glucose when it is time to get up.

Alison Campbell

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
this morning Fasting 9.3.
I have not been to the doctors yet.

If it was me, I would have tested again due to the margin of error allowed on these meters and the chances of human error. You have only been low carbing for a week, it can take a long time for levels to fall and fasting level can be the last to come down. Let us know how you get on tomorrow[/QUOTE]

Last edited:

Belton

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Hi all, thank you for your useful contributions. What a wonderful 'WEB SITE" this is.
My readings this morning straight from bed.
7.3 My two meals yesterday were breakfast Porridge with sultanas, 1, prune,1 date and milk. Great start to the day and have been having this for years.
Couple large cups tea with 1 level tsp sugar, evening meal of brown rice home made chicken curry.
that was it for the day.
I will write to my doctors explain my experiences. I don't want to wait 3 weeks for an appointment to be told come back and have a blood test.

Reactions: Prem51
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
There was a time when two fasting readings above 7 would have got you a diagnosis of diabetes. I have written elsewhere about how unreliable I think that method is but nevertheless, if you keep on doing it then a proper Hba1c test should be done.

Also, and I am sorry to ruin your day, dried fruit is not a good idea since when dried about all that's left is the sugar.

Reactions: Prem51
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Further to the above I think that apart from the chicken, everything else you had to eat/drink was carby. Don't panic though, have the test first.

callyandy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello and welcome. You've already made changes to your life and by logging on here, made a brilliant step forwards. Might I suggest you take a look at the Low Carb programme on this site, It lasts for 10 weeks, free, on line and gives lots of science as well as tips, all very understandable. Having recommended it I must confess the programme is being modified this weekend so you won't be able to sign up till Monday at the earliest...
Changing one's diet can be a massive test, but whether you have diabetes or not, reducing you carb intake has many health benefits so please continue in this. Good luck with the doctor.:)

Reactions: Angelofthemarches

Belton

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Over the last 6 days I have reduced my carb intake quite considerably(in my opinion)
I have subscribed to A web site www.cronometer.com where I can keep a diary of all my food intake , this gives me a breakdown of Energy K/Cals, Protein, Carbs, Fats,
My dailyEnergy K/Cals total intake
have been
Most days I have been within my Carb intake for my desired weight loss requirement i.e. 2Ibs per week.

I have lost in the last 10 days 8-9Ibs.
But my fasting levels have been an average of 7-8
My BMI is 24
Should I have expected any reduction in my Blood sugar levels by now
I have not beeen to the doctors, I have sent him a table of my readings over a period of time and todate have not recieved a reply by telephone at least., not wanting to wiat 4 weeks for an appointments then another 4 weeks for a blood test
I am frustrated