am i diabetic????

jessie01

hi all, not sure if im posting this in the correct place im new here,

quick bacground on me,,,,im 29 mum to 5 ( one is step) i had gd from the very start with no 4 it was picked up at 6 weeks pregnant after bad bleeding on a routine urine test in hosp was on insulin 4 times a day by 11 weeks..... hosp seemed to think i was allready diabetic before i fell pregnant with him anyway..... i passed my after birth gtt and was told to return yearly. about 6 months ago i was going through a sleepy period etc and decided to do some random blood tests and was getting high readings... i went to docs who took blood for hba1c didnt do a gtt test though, they never called back with results but i chased them up and got some ungelpful secetry somewhere who just told me id passed but didnt give me figure or anything just said all was ok. that was it up untill today been doing some random tests today and been above 13 all day not had any sweets etc to eat. my pre tea was 13.4 and i also had a small glass of lucozade to see how i handled it, one hour later and im 17.6.

is it possible that i can have such high readings and not be diabetic or do i need to call gp again? i feel like they will think im paranoid to keeo doing this every few months. My eldest who is my step daughter is 3 and has type 1 she also has quad c palsy so we have to do all her diabetes stuff and if she is 17 wed be giving her rapid which makes me worry im that high am i worrying about nothing? im also waiting for suregery on xmas eve ( great date ive got there i know!!) on a cyst in my head and last thing i want is this to impact on anything x

BlindFaith

Hi Jessie,

I would really urge you to talk to GP as soon as you can - especially with the surgery you have coming up (brilliant date for that, by the way :lol: )
Your readings do seem high (if it helps, I was diagnosed at a reading of 28) and I think you'll need some fasting glucose tests as well as getting the result of your HbA1c from the GP rather than the receptionist (again, if it helps, my diabetes would've been caught much faster had the receptionist not told me that my result was "fine"....It wasn't "fine" at all).

Good luck x

jessie01

will suck waking up in hospital on xmas day boooo, btw my name is rhian (long story but nearly al user names are jessie after my first pet....actually a boring story rather than long lol) i suppose i worry that th gp will think im paranoid or wasting time,. but for instance today all my blood readings have been higher than my daughters which cant be right. i was surpirsed when i was there few months back they didnt do a gtt they just took blood for hba1c and didnt ever tell me the actualy figure of what i was. cant remember back to what my hba1c was when pregnant but i know i had got it down over the course of the pregnancy, would be interesting to know what it was last time compared to the last one i had when pregnant.

how much can it affect healing ( was told it does when eldest had a serious op 3 years ago, she lives with us btw) im worried as the op involves going in my skull eytc its going to be hard enough without any possible complications x

angua

jessie01 said:
hi all, not sure if im posting this in the correct place im new here,

quick bacground on me,,,,im 29 mum to 5 ( one is step) i had gd from the very start with no 4 it was picked up at 6 weeks pregnant after bad bleeding on a routine urine test in hosp was on insulin 4 times a day by 11 weeks..... hosp seemed to think i was allready diabetic before i fell pregnant with him anyway..... i passed my after birth gtt and was told to return yearly. about 6 months ago i was going through a sleepy period etc and decided to do some random blood tests and was getting high readings... i went to docs who took blood for hba1c didnt do a gtt test though, they never called back with results but i chased them up and got some ungelpful secetry somewhere who just told me id passed but didnt give me figure or anything just said all was ok. that was it up untill today been doing some random tests today and been above 13 all day not had any sweets etc to eat. my pre tea was 13.4 and i also had a small glass of lucozade to see how i handled it, one hour later and im 17.6.

is it possible that i can have such high readings and not be diabetic or do i need to call gp again? i feel like they will think im paranoid to keeo doing this every few months. My eldest who is my step daughter is 3 and has type 1 she also has quad c palsy so we have to do all her diabetes stuff and if she is 17 wed be giving her rapid which makes me worry im that high am i worrying about nothing? im also waiting for suregery on xmas eve ( great date ive got there i know!!) on a cyst in my head and last thing i want is this to impact on anything x

Hi Jessie

IDF recommended target blood glucose level ranges
Target Levels
by Type Before meals and 2 hours after meals

Non-diabetic 4.0 to 5.9 mmol/L and under 7.8 mmol/L 2 hours after
Type 2 4 to 7 mmol/L and under 8.5 mmol/L 2 hours after
Type 1 4 to 7 mmol/L and under 9 mmol/L 2 hours after
Children w/diabetes 4 to 8 mmol/L and under 10 mmol/L 2 hours after

Based on your readings they do seem high for 'normal' and like you say you'd be treating your daughter with insulin if she had your numbers. Don't worry that your Dr might think you're paranoid, what really matters is that you stay healthy esp with all those children to be mother to - so make that appointment first thing Monday and do keep us posted about the results. There is loads of info here to help and lots of posters experiences to help - If you have any questions, just ask, someone might be able to give you a few pointers :) If you are interested in experimenting with your readings in the interim you could try going for 8 hours tomorrow with really limited carbs and see what effect that has on you bg's

Gilly x

p.s. For future ref you can insist on the secretary giving you the actual reading rather than just an 'ok'

jessie01

I carried on doing tests hourly and did go down to 15 then up to 16again then went to bed this morning I was 13.9 not eaten all morning now down to 8.2 not looking good is it. Roll on the lecture about being over weight from the doctors but I know its some thing I need to deal with! Going to call them in morning and also ask past figures. Going to keep record of bloods next few days. Should I test 1 hour or 2 hour after food when I was pregnant I did it 1 hour after? X

Fraddycat

Don't beat yourself up Rhian, some research shows that we are big because we have diabetes and not the other way around. If and when you get diagnosed you can draw a line and start managing it, if you can get to grips with your diet, you will probably find your numbers come down and your weight will to (well that's what's happened to me).

I'm not sure if you have seen the Welcome we give to new members so I have posted a link below. Don't be fobbed off by the GP/Recept, the results are your information, you have a right to it.

viewtopic.php?f=39&t=26870

jessie01

Well stayed above fifteen for rest of day. Now going to bed at 17.1more I think about it more symptoms I have been having. Sleeping to much feeling rough. Feeling sick so that I have actually done pregnancy tests! Itching down below where I have gone out and bought creams for maybe I should have picked the signs up sooner but with 5 kids I have put it down to other things. X