Amazing impact of diet and exercise change since diagnosis

beatdise

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Gym workouts
I don't know how long I must have had diabetes before its diagnosis two weeks ago but I so wish I had responded to my gp's letters inviting me for a blood test over the last 5 years. I say this because despite being scared witless when I was diagnosed the life changes I have been forced to make have made me feel like a reborn revitalised individual. I am an educated man knew that I was a possible diabtes risk both my parents were type 2 in their early 60's. I even have a sister who is a naturopothists who was almost evangelical about the nasty sugars and carbohydrates and fizzy drinks. I just filtered it all out assuming it wouldn't happen to me. Any way in two weeks I have completely changed my diet go for a morning walk for 40 minutes and gone on a low carb highish fat diet. I am breathing more easily, I am bouncing up the stairs, on the London underground, played footie last night as though I was 30 again even though I am nearly 59. My thinking is sharper, my concentration has improved. If only I had taken the advice sooner. So if any of you have been diagnosed recently trust me if you can make the life changes you will get an incredible surprise. Everyone I have spoken to has said how fresh faced and energised I look and they are right I feel GREAT. After your initial shock I am sure you will see the imporvements good luck.

Reactions: 9 people

Yorksman

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes, I too have a life again, fixing things around the house, active in the garden, walking in the hills and cycling abroad. It is quite a transition. I even eat better because I cook everything myself and can control what goes in.

I think as you slow down as you get older, it is easy to just put it down to the ageing process. But, you are right, it's not inevitable and you can do something about it.

Reactions: 4 people

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Congratulations, being diagnosed had the same impact on me as well.

Reactions: 2 people

beatdise

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Gym workouts
Yes, I too have a life again, fixing things around the house, active in the garden, walking in the hills and cycling abroad. It is quite a transition. I even eat better because I cook everything myself and can control what goes in.

I think as you slow down as you get older, it is easy to just put it down to the ageing process. But, you are right, it's not inevitable and you can do something about it.
Yoksman my Hba1c 86 on diagnosislike yours. You have a years progress ahead of me. If I could get to 36 I would be very pleased!!

Yorksman

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
You have a years progress ahead of me. If I could get to 36 I would be very pleased!!

Just carry on doing what you are doing and, as you get better at it, do some more.

Main thing is to do stuff that you find enjoyable. You are more likely to do it :)