Type 1 Post-laser treatment fear with DVLA...

Yuji

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all,
Just signed up to this community today to ask some other type 1 diabetics who have also had laser treatment due to diabetic retinopathy.

I'm mid-thirties and have just had "precautionary" laser treatment in both my eyes today. I currently have 20/20 vision and only wear glasses due to a stigmatism.

The doctor who did the treatment said that despite the treatment not causing any sight loss, I need to inform the DVLA. This terrifies me as I rely on my ability to drive for my livelihood. Without it I'd be lost.

I do not know what the DVLA will require of me once I inform them, so wanted to ask anyone else hear of their experience so I know to what expect, because right now my mind is racing and I can't sleep

What can I expect? What tests will I need to undertake to satisfy the DVLA? Will they restrict any part of my driving licence? Currently I renew every 3 years.

Please let me know if I have anything to fear and what the DVLA processes will be once I inform them.

Many thanks all

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi all,
Just signed up to this community today to ask some other type 1 diabetics who have also had laser treatment due to diabetic retinopathy.

I'm mid-thirties and have just had "precautionary" laser treatment in both my eyes today. I currently have 20/20 vision and only wear glasses due to a stigmatism.

The doctor who did the treatment said that despite the treatment not causing any sight loss, I need to inform the DVLA. This terrifies me as I rely on my ability to drive for my livelihood. Without it I'd be lost.

I do not know what the DVLA will require of me once I inform them, so wanted to ask anyone else hear of their experience so I know to what expect, because right now my mind is racing and I can't sleep

What can I expect? What tests will I need to undertake to satisfy the DVLA? Will they restrict any part of my driving licence? Currently I renew every 3 years.

Please let me know if I have anything to fear and what the DVLA processes will be once I inform them.

Many thanks all
Apologies if mistaken, but tagging @Jaylee who , I think, has some experience in this issue.

• Hug
Reactions: filly

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Apologies if mistaken, but tagging @Jaylee who , I think, has some experience in this issue.
Hi,

Well kind of/sort of/maybe…

I had a course “anti VEGF injections in the eyes. DVLA required me to do a “vision field test.”

I do still have my licence. I’d be screwed without it too…

Welcome to the forum @Yuji .

Reactions: Pipp

Hopeful34

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Welcome to the forum @Yuji As @Jaylee has said the normal procedure is that you will be asked to go for a field vision test. DVLA may also contact either the Opthalmologist or Endocrinologist that you see at the hospital.

• Informative
Reactions: Pipp

Male1960T2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Provided your not having regular lazer treatments you should be OK, but DVLA will want you to take the test.
You just have to spot single spots of light that appear in random positions.
I've had lazer to one eye and it worked fine with no perceivable effect.
Trouble is our mind fills in any blind spots so we're the last to know !