Another 3 months on

rayq81

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
At my last blood test I wrote a post on here that my hba1c had come down to 41 from 65, a few weeks ago I had a call from the hospital consultant who had a chat to me and he was surprised that I was managing without insulin, he then told me he would speak to my GP and try reducing my Metformin to see what effect this would have.

I was taking 2 tablets at breakfast and 2 with my evening meal and my GP told me to try going to 1 tablet morning and 1 in the afternoon but to monitor closely and report any big spikes through the day.

Initially it did go up a little bit overall and my range dropped from 95% to 89%, however I increased my exercise regime and any meal that sends my Libra reading over 11.5 I get on the treadmill for 10-20 minutes which always gets it back in range, I am now back over 90% in range and it seems to be steady for the time being, I have not got to 15 at any point on the Libra in 7 months.

Has anyone else been in this situation where the original diagnosis was looking really bad but has improved to the point that diet and exercise is controlling this type of diabetes with just 2 Metformin a day ? Am I being too optimistic to think I may not need insulin long term or is this just me thinking I can beat the unbeatable.

My antibodies have also shown a big improvement over the 2 tests and although gad 65 is still reading it's not where it was last year when I was first tested.

Last edited:

Melgar

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Interesting and a big congrats on your Ac1 reduction. I also exercise after meals to knock down my blood sugar rises. It works, so I keep doing it. Maybe you have reduced your insulin resistance doing all that treadmill exercise. I did that very low carb diet thing for 9 months did little to reduce my blood sugars, but it did stop the rise which I was very pleased with (big caveat here they are not sure what type of diabetes I have, so please bear this in mind). Reducing Metformin, I also wonder whether your liver dumping glucogen into your system was not such an issue in raising your blood sugars, as a type 1 that is. Although with Lada you would expect elements of type 2 in the mix. The other thing I wondered, please take this with a pinch of salt, is with the lowering of your blood sugars, has it tempered the immune response on your beta cells. I say this because I have Coeliac, the only course of action for Coeliac sufferers is a complete avoidance of gluten. Without gluten in your system there is no immune attack and therefore no antibodies are produced. Just throwing those thoughts out there and really they are only thoughts. :)

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Although with Lada you would expect elements of type 2 in the mix.
Why? My understanding was that lada is simply a slow adult onset variant of type 1 and nothing to do with type 2