Vegetarian hypo fixers?

Rosiediabetes

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi guys,

What do you recommend as your sugary snack to fix a hypo?
I've been using chewits and the newly vegan fruittella, but they're actually **** hard to chew when trying to fix yourself!

Also, does it make much of a difference if you keep insulin in the fridge or not please?

Thanks!
R

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
You can use honey, or squash, or plain sugar, or glucose tabs.
Also, does it make much of a difference if you keep insulin in the fridge or not please?
Insulin stays well at room temperature for at least a month.
So usually people keep their stock in the fridge but not the insulin currently in use.

• Agree
Reactions: SimonP78 and EllieM

lessci

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I know many jelly sweets are vege friendly, have you looked at/considered fudge, or a personal favourite Scottish tablet

Reactions: Antje77

JAT1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I eat an apple for most hypos. If this isn't enough and I'll know within 10 minutes, I keep eating apples or any other available fruit until the hypo is solved. I never go out without an apple or two with me and always have them on hand at home.

Dearbhla

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi guys,

I've been using chewits and the newly vegan fruittella, but they're actually **** hard to chew when trying to fix yourself!

Thanks!
R
Apple juice in the little cartons. It's almost as good as lift drinks. Very fast. Dextrose tablets, 3 of them, available in boots, Lloyds etc. avoid chocolate, milk, gelatin etc. You want the sugars as available as quickly as possible, no digestion delays from the likes of gelatine.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I’m not vegetarian.

Though I went that route tonight.

I have used dried banana chips to fix a hypo in the past. And dried sultanas & raisins?

Insulin not in use should really be kept in the fridge.
Best wishes.

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Insulin will be fine at room temperature for up to 30 days.
Therefore, it is recommended to keep your “in use” pen with you at room temperature and other pens/cartridges in the fridge.

Melgar

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I use Starburst candies as they are convenient. I have them in my bag for months. Starburst are vegetarian except in the US. The US ones contain gelatin. Starburst made and sold in the UK are vegan I believe.

• Informative
Reactions: Antje77

lisele

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi guys,

Thanks!
R
I used strawberry haribo. They are the only haribo I've found that are veggie.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hi guys,

Thanks!
R
If you don't mind me asking.
But why are you going hypo again?
I think that maybe the meds and insulin treatment dosage may be to much for what you are eating.