Another example of resistant starch????

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have been aware of the phenomenon of resistant starch and ways to encourage it. My mother was T1D in the War Years and used to rinse the cooked rice with cold water, then pour on boiling water from the ketlle to heat it up again. I understand a similar trick can be used with bread toasted straight from the freezer, but have not tested this myself.

However I had a chance this week to examine this process in among all things a Beef Stew. I usually base my stews and curries around an onion with either butternut squash, sweet potato, cauliflower, or greens. Even aubergine can fall into the pot without my bgl noticing it too much.

This week I made a monster stew so I could blitz it up for my wife who has Parkinsons and has difficilty swallowing, I needed to finish up the Xmas leftovers, so I broke the rule on below ground veggies, and my base became onion, parsnips, carrots, brussels, turnip, swede all root veggies. Added some meat to give it flavour., and my bgl meter jumped through the roof (see following table)

The next day I tooke the remains of the stew, and added a jar of curry sauce to turn it into a beef curry. I ate mine with cauli rice.

The following day I had the curry slops on toast (2 slices with butter) which is not unusual for me to do,

Here is the Table (mmol/l)
Meal pre 2hrPP 4hrPP
stew 5.4 10.2 5.9
curry 5.2 4.7 6.6
curried toast 6,1 5,9 5,7

I think the rise at 4hrPP for curry is due to the protein having an effect

In past episodes of stew or curry using non root vegs usually only give me a rise of around 1 or 2 mmol.l at most, so the root veg in stew is a phenomenon for me. I think this shows that if root veggies are cooked, then allowed to rest overnight then the starch converts to resistant starch like rice and bread,

Reactions: Antechinus

lindijanice

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Very well could be @Oldvatr! Have been reading more about resistant starch and it all sounds interesting enough that I have gotten some potato starch to experiment with. I like your test with stew a lot better than dissolving potato starch in water:) Hope you enjoyed it all!! Cheers/L

Reactions: Prem51 and HSSS

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Very well could be @Oldvatr! Have been reading more about resistant starch and it all sounds interesting enough that I have gotten some potato starch to experiment with. I like your test with stew a lot better than dissolving potato starch in water:) Hope you enjoyed it all!! Cheers/L
Yep. It breaks my rules but turned out nicely, Think I need to try an experiment with Cornish Pasty - not as alarming as the stew, but up 3 mmol/l at 2hrPP, but ended back less than the pre, so average overall was 6.9 which is in my target area.

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Perhaps that’s why I’m ok with bread - I keep it in the freezer and take it out when needed either for a sandwich or toast.

Reactions: ickihun

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I have been aware of the phenomenon of resistant starch and ways to encourage it. My mother was T1D in the War Years and used to rinse the cooked rice with cold water, then pour on boiling water from the ketlle to heat it up again. I understand a similar trick can be used with bread toasted straight from the freezer, but have not tested this myself.

However I had a chance this week to examine this process in among all things a Beef Stew. I usually base my stews and curries around an onion with either butternut squash, sweet potato, cauliflower, or greens. Even aubergine can fall into the pot without my bgl noticing it too much.

This week I made a monster stew so I could blitz it up for my wife who has Parkinsons and has difficilty swallowing, I needed to finish up the Xmas leftovers, so I broke the rule on below ground veggies, and my base became onion, parsnips, carrots, brussels, turnip, swede all root veggies. Added some meat to give it flavour., and my bgl meter jumped through the roof (see following table)

The next day I tooke the remains of the stew, and added a jar of curry sauce to turn it into a beef curry. I ate mine with cauli rice.

The following day I had the curry slops on toast (2 slices with butter) which is not unusual for me to do,

Here is the Table (mmol/l)
Meal pre 2hrPP 4hrPP
stew 5.4 10.2 5.9
curry 5.2 4.7 6.6
curried toast 6,1 5,9 5,7

I think the rise at 4hrPP for curry is due to the protein having an effect

In past episodes of stew or curry using non root vegs usually only give me a rise of around 1 or 2 mmol.l at most, so the root veg in stew is a phenomenon for me. I think this shows that if root veggies are cooked, then allowed to rest overnight then the starch converts to resistant starch like rice and bread,
I can have reheated roasties and reheated fresh potato mash. Butter or lard included in their original cooking.
I wonder why I never get the same positive result from frozen chips or roasties. I've come to the conclusion that they are only blanched not fully cooked. In my head I image the starch causing the ripening process or maybe the opposite, I guess. Starch dies or fails to convert into sugar, in the first part of the gut. (The process cut out of the body in a bariatric full by-pass).
I wonder if I won't have to reheat after my op. Medically I shouldn't have to. We'll see. Seeing that starch consumption isn't the only reason for type2 diabetes (because i believe is a liver condition).