Another question re BG readings

Ultramum

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Apologies for all the questions ... I'll get there eventually

I'm confused as to why I seem to get what appears to be a liver dump late afternoon and why would my lunch have my BG so high? Is it because I had to test less than 2 hrs after lunch?

7.8 at 10pm
8.7 at 4.30am
9.0 at 7am
Breakfast - cheese omelette plus coffee with cream
9.2 at 9.30 am
8.8 at 1.40 pm
Lunch - egg, spinach and roasted cauliflower with Hellman's
11.1 at 3.20pm (!!!))
7.2 at 4.30pm
8.0 at 6.10pm
Tea - stewed steak, leeks with cream and cabbage

DaftThoughts

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Your bg raised by 2.3mmol/L. That's a tiny bit high, but a 2mmol/L rise is normal, and you have to take into account that glucometers have a margin for error too. I don't think it's a liver dump, unless you did anything around lunch time that would trigger it? Stress and exercise can cause liver dumps.

I think the issue is mostly that you are consistently over 7.5, with the exception of the late afternoon, and that you don't seem to go much lower than that all day. If you start relatively high before your meal, then a natural 2mmol/L rise will look dramatic when it passes 10.

Your diet certainly looks alright to me. I'm assuming Hellman's is mayonnaise or another condiment, did you check to see if it has sugar in it at all?

chalup

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Your diet looks very good. It can take months for your baseline numbers to come down, especially fasting. Stick to the low carb and give it time.

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have no Hellman's in the cupboard so I looked at a bottle of Heinz salad cream and it is nearly 20% sugar so it might be a good idea to double check the Hellman's.

Reactions: ME_Valentijn

Ultramum

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hellman's is 0 carb - just bought it the other day so read the labels first :)

So 2mmol/L rise is ok - it's just that, at the moment, the base level is high.

I walked about 3000 steps pretty quickly to get my lunch and also have a look at an item on display in the city centre - try to fit the exercise in as my job involves sitting down all day

Reactions: ME_Valentijn

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I agree Hellmans Real Mayo is 0 carb. I eat mounds of the stuff.

It clearly wasn't your food, and with that meal you shouldn't have risen by 2mmol/l.

Did you do that brisk walk after testing but before eating? If so, that may be the cause. Your walk could have raised your levels (as it does with mine) and thus your starting point.

Otherwise, I suggest a rogue strip, contaminated finger or strip. If you get an unexpected reading, whether higher or lower than your particular range, always wash hands again and re-test. Silly readings happen to us all.

Reactions: Ultramum

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
When I'd been low carbing for a little while and had seen my numbers being really consistent, suddenly they were up and down and very inconsistent - I assumed it was due to things sorting themselves out, being as ever an optimist, and it seems that they are, with the high numbers fading away and lower than ever recorded ones appearing. I can only advise that you persist and hope that you are experiencing the same thing.

Ultramum

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I agree Hellmans Real Mayo is 0 carb. I eat mounds of the stuff.

It clearly wasn't your food, and with that meal you shouldn't have risen by 2mmol/l.

Did you do that brisk walk after testing but before eating? If so, that may be the cause. Your walk could have raised your levels (as it does with mine) and thus your starting point.

Otherwise, I suggest a rogue strip, contaminated finger or strip. If you get an unexpected reading, whether higher or lower than your particular range, always wash hands again and re-test. Silly readings happen to us all.

I walked then tested - does exercise raise your BG? I assumed it lowered it?

I only had time to do a quick test in a break at work on this occasion but I'll bear that in mind for the future. Thanks

Fasting BG is 8.0 this morning so hopefully some lower readings starting from a lower gas :)

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I walked then tested - does exercise raise your BG? I assumed it lowered it?

I only had time to do a quick test in a break at work on this occasion but I'll bear that in mind for the future. Thanks

Fasting BG is 8.0 this morning so hopefully some lower readings starting from a lower gas :)

It's often discussed on the forum about exercise causing lower levels or higher levels. It seems to affect people differently, and seems to depend on various factors. I don't claim to understand the ins and outs of it. It may depend on whether your liver thinks you need extra glucose due to the exercise so dumps some in your blood stream, which may depend on whether you have a full or an empty stomach and what you may just have eaten, or when you last ate. All you can do is test before your walk and again afterwards. Whatever, walking is good for your general health, blood pressure, cholesterol and general well being.