Antibody tests - what do the results mean?

Circuspony

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Just to add, and I know nothing about abatacept trials in type 1, but I work in rheumatology and we use abatacept on some.of our patients. It is very very safe and has an excellent side effect profile. We use weekly injections or 4 weekly infusions, it won't be available in oral form. Very interested in it's wider trials for type 1 though especially for my patients who are unlucky enough to habe both rheumatoid and type 1. I am going to do some reading! Good luck with the trial @Circuspony will be interested to see how you get on if you are açcepted
Thank you. I did some reading after they spoke to me and it was reassuring to see the drug was already in use. Ironically my GP tested me for rheumatoid arthritis earlier this year when I was tired, aching and with swollen joints. I was negative but it's highly likely that was my undiagnosed diabetes playing up.

No idea if I'm suitable for the study yet but I think it's worth a shot. Plus if any of the studies can help prevent or cure type 1 down the line (even if I'm long time!) then they're welcome to more of my blood!!

Reactions: lou258
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi there,

Not sure if this will help you but when I got my diagnosis my GAD levels were 35 (I'm unsure of the units). This was nearly 5 years ago.
My latest GAD result was nearly 700.
I think my consultant is using the test to determine the amount of beta cells my pancreas has left. Like everyone else is saying positive is positive.
My guess would be that the higher the result, the less insulin your own body is capable of producing.

Good question though and it is worth asking your consultant if you're unsure about anything.

Nathaliecolette

Circuspony

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi there,

Not sure if this will help you but when I got my diagnosis my GAD levels were 35 (I'm unsure of the units). This was nearly 5 years ago.
My latest GAD result was nearly 700.
I think my consultant is using the test to determine the amount of beta cells my pancreas has left. Like everyone else is saying positive is positive.
My guess would be that the higher the result, the less insulin your own body is capable of producing.

Good question though and it is worth asking your consultant if you're unsure about anything.

Nathaliecolette

That's really interesting - and a bit scary as mine is around 1500!

Circuspony

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
This is a smaller trial following studies in the USA (I think!) a couple of years ago that showed promising results. 13 subjects for 6months, no placebo. Weekly injections with 3monthly blood checks for a year. As mentioned concept being that this could block the antibodies attacks against the remaining beta cells following first diagnosis (so only suitable within 100 days of diagnosis) - protecting the remaining beta cells and prolonging the honeymoon period (less insulin, easier to manage). The guys team want to look in particular at how the drug works and impact on immune system.
Hope this is of use/interest!
That's broadly what they told me. I have the 2 positive antibodies tests, but there's still further tests to do to see whether its worth me going on the drug. I think I'm still producing some insulin, but they didn't run that test on me in A&E so it'll need to be done.

I've also been asked for a sample of blood for a wider anonymous database, which I understand is Europe wide and will help understand the genetic links that cause late onset T1.

Luckily my work are very supportive about me having time off for hospital appointments!

lou258

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
That's broadly what they told me. I have the 2 positive antibodies tests, but there's still further tests to do to see whether its worth me going on the drug. I think I'm still producing some insulin, but they didn't run that test on me in A&E so it'll need to be done.

I've also been asked for a sample of blood for a wider anonymous database, which I understand is Europe wide and will help understand the genetic links that cause late onset T1.

Luckily my work are very supportive about me having time off for hospital appointments!

Yes my work are being really good too luckily.

One point to note - I went to screening straight from work wearing dress and tights. The checks they do include ecg (wires on chest wrists and ankles) so trousers and a top might be a better option!! ;)

Reactions: Circuspony

Circuspony

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes my work are being really good too luckily.

One point to note - I went to screening straight from work wearing dress and tights. The checks they do include ecg (wires on chest wrists and ankles) so trousers and a top might be a better option!! ;)
OHHHH that could have been awkward!!! - I've got a work meeting planned too while I'm there, so thank you for the warning :)

Reactions: lou258