Any Ideas for LC non-cook breakfast?

TracyC

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Meat ( yeah...protein in general ..I'm screwed ) but I am eating it now. Mornings, studying, crowds, Phobias a-plenty including vomiting, flying, travel in general actual, crowds, the outside (lol)
Hi folks. I've been eating 9 Bars, but I am beginning to notice a fairly steep spike with them so I'm looking for an alternative. I suffer with a chronic pain condition which means until I have taken my medications in the morning and allowed them time to work I can barely move so Im looking for something as simple and convenient as the 9 bar but without the carbs, something I can keep at the bedside the night before and not have to negotiate the stairs in pain first thing. I know its a big ask but maybe someone knows something? x

amgrundy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Being bored
Hi folks. I've been eating 9 Bars, but I am beginning to notice a fairly steep spike with them so I'm looking for an alternative. I suffer with a chronic pain condition which means until I have taken my medications in the morning and allowed them time to work I can barely move so Im looking for something as simple and convenient as the 9 bar but without the carbs, something I can keep at the bedside the night before and not have to negotiate the stairs in pain first thing. I know its a big ask but maybe someone knows something? x
Hi TracyC, Its funny you have mentioned the 9 bars, I was actually looking at those yesterday I didn't buy any as I thought they were too high in sugar content. I like to have Rivitas or crackerbread or even Jacobs water biscuits with a bit of cheese or pate try some they are filling and they don't interfere with my BG readings. Try and test for yourself. I am so sorry you are in pain I feel for people like you. I suffer from joint problems sometimes and that's bad enough.:):)

Reactions: 2 people

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It could be the pain causing the spike. Or your dawn phenomenon.

And i have found that different flavours of 9 bar vary. Avoid the carob coated ones. And any fruit.

It is all a matter of testing.

TracyC

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Meat ( yeah...protein in general ..I'm screwed ) but I am eating it now. Mornings, studying, crowds, Phobias a-plenty including vomiting, flying, travel in general actual, crowds, the outside (lol)
Hi TracyC, Its funny you have mentioned the 9 bars, I was actually looking at those yesterday I didn't buy any as I thought they were too high in sugar content. I like to have Rivitas or crackerbread or even Jacobs water biscuits with a bit of cheese or pate try some they are filling and they don't interfere with my BG readings. Try and test for yourself. I am so sorry you are in pain I feel for people like you. I suffer from joint problems sometimes and that's bad enough.:):)

Oh you know I never considered Rivita, thats not a bad idea, thank you! x

TracyC

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
It could be the pain causing the spike. Or your dawn phenomenon.

And i have found that different flavours of 9 bar vary. Avoid the carob coated ones. And any fruit.

It is all a matter of testing.
Ah ok, I have got the carob ones actually ...so maybe worth trying a different one. I never knew that pain could affect your blood sugars, learning so much here! Thank you x

lizf4619

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Avocado, mash with salt, tabasco& lime juice - spread on your 'crackers'. My other favourite is sticks of cheese wrapped in ham.

Reactions: 4 people

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
In theory you can eat any low carb food you fancy for your breakfast but if you don't want to have to negotiate the stairs first thing, then that obviously limits you somewhat. But it's probably worth considering getting a small lunch box size cooler bag to allow you a bigger choice - you'd then have the option of cold meats and paté, yoghurt, various cheeses, etc.

Low carb muffins are a useful standby for any meal and you can make them sweet or savoury. You could also try a sort of "porridge" made with ground almonds, walnut or almond oil and a sprinkling of nuts - pecans, walnuts, pine nuts, pistachios. Linwoods make various similar nut, seed and berries packet mixes which you could try too.

Robbity

PS Sometimes I find something oily or fatty as a bedtime snack/supper will then last me to around next lunch time or later.

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I second the smashed avocado

Just to mention, carob makes me achy like nothing else. The chronic pain could be something your eating.
Nightshade vegetable, peppers of all kinds, potato, eggplant and tomato are highly inflammatory and cause arthritic pain in many people. Just thought I'd throw that out there

Reactions: 3 people

britishpub

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I made some nut and seed granola bars, which were nice.

Unfortunately the ingredients meant they cost about a tenner each

If you googleate Nut & Seed granola you will see a number of recipes.

mo53

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I must admit this is when I have raspberries and cream rather than having it as a desert. I used to sprinkle chia seeds on too. I have tried sprinkle a spoonful of milled flax seed with sunflower seeds and Gojji berries which is one of the Unwinss mixtures.

Reactions: 5 people

Wurst

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Narcissistic forum members
Tinned sardines in olive oil are my breakfast of choice, keeps you feeling full until lunchtime and only 0.4 carbs per 100 grams.

Reactions: 5 people

adriangoatseye

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Banks
My preference is for salad with olive oil and pepper on it accompanied by something like 75g of soft cheese or a couple of boiled eggs. The one thing I have liked on my short journey so far is flying in the face of convention and eating what I want. I have actually enjoyed the debates I have become engaged in around people who think they know what a healthy diet is. My trump card is that I quite often eat 6 times a day, am never hungry and have lost around one and half stones since late Jan.

Lindy1706

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I made some bacon and egg muffins last night which are rather good, basically wrap a slice of bacon into a muffin tin, crack an egg into it, sprinke some cheese and pepper over the top and bake till the egg is set.....good to eat on the go or as a quick bite.

TracyC

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
In theory you can eat any low carb food you fancy for your breakfast but if you don't want to have to negotiate the stairs first thing, then that obviously limits you somewhat. But it's probably worth considering getting a small lunch box size cooler bag to allow you a bigger choice - you'd then have the option of cold meats and paté, yoghurt, various cheeses, etc.

Low carb muffins are a useful standby for any meal and you can make them sweet or savoury. You could also try a sort of "porridge" made with ground almonds, walnut or almond oil and a sprinkling of nuts - pecans, walnuts, pine nuts, pistachios. Linwoods make various similar nut, seed and berries packet mixes which you could try too.

Robbity

PS Sometimes I find something oily or fatty as a bedtime snack/supper will then last me to around next lunch time or later.
Loving the sound of that porridge!! thanks for the ideas! x

TracyC

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I second the smashed avocado

Just to mention, carob makes me achy like nothing else. The chronic pain could be something your eating.
Nightshade vegetable, peppers of all kinds, potato, eggplant and tomato are highly inflammatory and cause arthritic pain in many people. Just thought I'd throw that out there
I never realised Carob could have that effect. My pain condition is from internal adhesions ( bought about by c-sections x 3 stomach surgery ) Nothing the can do about them because going in and unsticking everything just causes more scar tissue so Im pretty much stuck with it for life ( no pun intended ) ...It's worse at night because when I stretch out the tissue tries to stretch too and tugs. I literally cant move until my meds kick in, in the morning, its a real pain in the butt, but at the same time I need to eat something before I take them because they make me horribly nauseated if i don't ( a mix of Tramadol and gabapentin ) x

TracyC

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I made some bacon and egg muffins last night which are rather good, basically wrap a slice of bacon into a muffin tin, crack an egg into it, sprinke some cheese and pepper over the top and bake till the egg is set.....good to eat on the go or as a quick bite.
Oh these sound good, and simple, simple is important for me haha! How long do you bake them for and at what temperature please? x

TracyC

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Avocado, mash with salt, tabasco& lime juice - spread on your 'crackers'. My other favourite is sticks of cheese wrapped in ham.
Cheese and ham sounds good, might have to get that wee cooler box mentioned. I cant stand avocados, i think its the texture, they almost feel like eating a lump of fat to me and I cant get over it ( only had them once when I was much younger, but the memory stayed lol ) x