Any other young people with T1 feeling isolated?

miszu

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, looking for someone to talk to around my age... just about how daily life goes being diabetic, going out with friends, relationship, how these are possible really... Im 18, my youngest friend is 35yo. Well, Im thankful that I even have friends who care for me, be any age, but u know... I really miss some company from younger people at my age, someone whos at the same "life stage" as me. I feel like people at my age dont want to deal with me... I try my best to do my diabetes things alone without bothering them, but cant hide it all... Happy overall, my control is good, but just a bit lonely I guess... Just talking... I dont know. Im boring, but PM me if u dont mind, would appreciate it a lot. Hope everyones having a great day, anyway ! X

(ps. sorry, not good with titles.)

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Diabeticliberty

Jo_the_boat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi, looking for someone to talk to around my age... just about how daily life goes being diabetic, going out with friends, relationship, how these are possible really... Im 18, my youngest friend is 35yo. Well, Im thankful that I even have friends who care for me, be any age, but u know... I really miss some company from younger people at my age, someone whos at the same "life stage" as me. I feel like people at my age dont want to deal with me... I try my best to do my diabetes things alone without bothering them, but cant hide it all... Happy overall, my control is good, but just a bit lonely I guess... Just talking... I dont know. Im boring, but PM me if u dont mind, would appreciate it a lot. Hope everyones having a great day, anyway ! X

(ps. sorry, not good with titles.)

Don't know of any youngsters but there may be clinics / get-togethers in your area where there are folk of similar age. Perhaps your doc or diabetic nurse are aware of them?

Reactions: miszu

Robkww

Hi @miszu why not try the Young People/Adults section of the forum which focuses on younger adults - good luck, hope you find what you are looking for.

Reactions: miszu

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @miszu

Would you like me to move your thread to the Young People/Adults section of the forum?

I also think that maybe if you changed the title of your thread to something like 'anyone else feel isolated as a young person with T1?' that you might get the responses you are looking for. I suppose I am saying that your current thread title of 'pm me' might get you some inappropriate responses!

Just let me know if you would like the thread moved, and/or the title changed. :)

miszu

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @miszu

Would you like me to move your thread to the Young People/Adults section of the forum?

I also think that maybe if you changed the title of your thread to something like 'anyone else feel isolated as a young person with T1?' that you might get the responses you are looking for. I suppose I am saying that your current thread title of 'pm me' might get you some inappropriate responses!

Just let me know if you would like the thread moved, and/or the title changed. :)
I was not sure if anyones going to see it in that section but maybe its better fit there. Im sorry about the title, spent like 10mins thinking, but urs sounds just perfect. Thank u so much for help!

miszu

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Don't know of any youngsters but there may be clinics / get-togethers in your area where there are folk of similar age. Perhaps your doc or diabetic nurse are aware of them?
In Hungary theres no such thing, or lets say Ive never heard of it. I did hear about other T1D people like my colleagues neighbor seems to be one. In fact I feel a bit that I 'must' get friends at my age now, I spent my previous 4 years in bed bcoz having some other illnesses and I kind of feel left behind, my diabetes doesnt help me get forward since others at my age see it as trouble. But I dont know of a diabetics meet up or anything like that in Hungary.
Thanks for reply! :))

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I was not sure if anyones going to see it in that section but maybe its better fit there. Im sorry about the title, spent like 10mins thinking, but urs sounds just perfect. Thank u so much for help!

No worries! I can leave it in this section (you can always change your mind in future if you want )
But I will change the title now.
:)

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
By the way @miszu what are those gorgeous babies in your avatar pic?
They aren't pet rats are they?
I used to keep pet rats for years, and think they make the best pets EVER. Intelligence. Loyalty. Cleanliness (if they are allowed to organise their own hygiene), and incredibly cute.

miszu

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
By the way @miszu what are those gorgeous babies in your avatar pic?
They aren't pet rats are they?
I used to keep pet rats for years, and think they make the best pets EVER. Intelligence. Loyalty. Cleanliness (if they are allowed to organise their own hygiene), and incredibly cute.
They are baby rats.. But im so sorry I actually used them to feed my geckos... I rather give them worms now but back then I chose to feed them rats coz insects was a no for me... So sorry if my answer is upsetting... );

Ps. Thanks for help with the title!

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
OK, so I know I shouldn't be laughing, but I did set myself up for that, didn't I? lol

I do LOVE rats. But I also know that a lot of baby rats go into geckos and snakes and other lizard type pets. As well as worms and insects.
It is no different from us eating meat.
So no, I am not upset.

Actually, I used to feed the rats mealworms sometimes, but they had to be kept in the fridge to stop them hatching into flies, and my mother objected to her fridge having them in there. No idea why! ;)

And no worries about the title. Just let me or one of the other mods know if you need anything else.

miszu

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Haha, brave mom. The geckos are actually from my sister, but she doesnt look after them so I had to get use to touching worms and all that gets fed to the geckos.. Even hearing little baby rats screaming while getting eaten up... :''))

Ixarix

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
OK, so I know I shouldn't be laughing, but I did set myself up for that, didn't I? lol

I do LOVE rats. But I also know that a lot of baby rats go into geckos and snakes and other lizard type pets. As well as worms and insects.
It is no different from us eating meat.
So no, I am not upset.

Actually, I used to feed the rats mealworms sometimes, but they had to be kept in the fridge to stop them hatching into flies, and my mother objected to her fridge having them in there. No idea why! ;)

And no worries about the title. Just let me or one of the other mods know if you need anything else.

The mention of rats put me in mind of a story that happened in my city last year around Christmas time. This story is 100% true, and even made the national news here in Canada. I'll post a link. I hope you don't mind me sharing it in this thread.

Just before Christmas last year, a woman in my city was discovered to be hoarding rats in her small one bed room apartment. Located in the downtown core of the city, the local newspaper initially reported that the number of rats running free in the apartment was about one hundred. However, that number wound-up being low. A follow up story the next day in the paper reported that the humane society had removed approximately six hundred rats from the small apartment.

Apparently none of the rats were destroyed. They were distributed to humane societies around the my province of Ontario to be adopted out. Thanks for letting me share this story, it fun, creepy, and a little disturbing all at once. I'll sure you'll make lots of friends here. Cheers.

http://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/animal...emoved-from-north-bay-ont-apartment-1.3216777