Any Type 1 Hill walkers?

Roberto

Not been on the forum for a while so only just came across this thread. Will have a proper read later.

Been really enjoying getting into hillwalking over the last 3-4 months. Doing my 5th Munro this weekend - Ben MacDui. I've done mount keen, dreish, mayar, lochnagar so far. Plus a few lower hills!

On the days I'm going out on a long hillwalk after a lot if mild hypos, I'm only taking 1 unit of humalog at breakfast and I'll have a big bowl of porridge and a granola bar so plenty carbs there. Try to test regularly but have noticed when the conditions get cold or very windy my meter does not work?! Very annoying. I try take around 10g of carbs for every hour walking.

Definetly a great way to get out and to get yourself fit!

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Roberto said:
Not been on the forum for a while so only just came across this thread. Will have a proper read later.

Been really enjoying getting into hillwalking over the last 3-4 months. Doing my 5th Munro this weekend - Ben MacDui. I've done mount keen, dreish, mayar, lochnagar so far. Plus a few lower hills!

On the days I'm going out on a long hillwalk after a lot if mild hypos, I'm only taking 1 unit of humalog at breakfast and I'll have a big bowl of porridge and a granola bar so plenty carbs there. Try to test regularly but have noticed when the conditions get cold or very windy my meter does not work?! Very annoying. I try take around 10g of carbs for every hour walking.

Definetly a great way to get out and to get yourself fit!

I love mount keen and lochnagar!

That's not great about the meter not working!

Roberto

Lochnagar has been my favourite so far, brilliant walk!

I've done mount keen twice, from glen esk which was my first munro and from glen tanar woods - which turned out to be a fair old hike!

Is a real pain with the meter, thankfully I do have good hypo warning signs.

Really looking forward to MacDui this weekend. Was hoping to do broad cairn this weekend past but my wife is a real fair weather walker and the forecast wasn't great!

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've only done it from glen tanar side.

I'm a fair weather walker too. Doesn't have to be sunny, just dry! Thankfully my dog agrees

Roberto

oJtSBo3.jpg

On the way down lochnagar just before the waterfall..............seems to be cutting a bit of the photo? :?

Ian_P

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dear Simon

I'm 51 and was diagnosed as a Type 1 about 18 months ago.

I do lots of hill walking and landscape photography in the Peak District!

Please think about getting a Dexcom CGM monitor.

http://www.dexcom.com/en-gb

It works out at about £5 a day but isn't available on the NHS yet.

This has really made controlling my BGs so much easier - you still need to do two finger sticks a day to calibrate it, but then just set the alarms to 4.5 and 8 and forget about it. A small skin sensor monitors the BG continuously and sends a message to the receiver every 5 minutes - transmission range is about 20 feet. Remarkably consistent and accurate.

No hypos at all since diagnosis and HbA1cs all in the low forties (in old numbers, 6%).

I do plenty of exercise - walking uphill with any rapid acting insulin on board really drops the BGs quickly.

Let me know if you need any more info.

Best wishes,

Ian

frogman72

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I was diagnosed with type 1 in 1988 when I was 48 years old.I still walked up and down hills almost every day. But now I'm seventy three so I sloewd down a bit.Still go r]for fairly long walks.

mshansen

I'm an ardent hillwalker and climber, and type 1 diabetic for 35 years (since I was 1, so can't really remember anything else). If you do regular strenuous exercise, climbing a mountain shouldn't cause too much havoc with your diabetes. However, as I do this on a daily basis, I'm not sure how helpful I can be if you're just starting out. I always keep copious amounts of dextrose tablets in my bag, and am aware that the problems (if any) tend to come towards the end of the day, once your resources are running low, and you're making a dash to get back to the car. Also, be very careful with the basal insulin, it can keep low blood sugars going for ages when ascending a hill. But I honestly can't see how diabetes should keep you away from the hills. I'm also a member of the Skye Mountain Rescue, and can say that poor equipment choice and lack of navigation skill is a much bigger concern than diabetes.