Anyone able to recommend any good, diabetes friendly Asian recipes?

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
All the usual veg and meat stuff but using Chinese 5 spice,or Thai 7 spice, ginger, soy sauce etc rather than the sugary bottled ready made sauces

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I usually marinade my protein for the stir over night in a sandwich or freezer bag, soy sauce a splash of sesame oil, 5 spice or rice wine vinegar, especially for beef and pork as vinegar is a great tenderiser - I’ve also used a tablespoon of mayo with any spices I fancy for a marinade - mayo is amazing for tenderising meat and it gives your stir fry a nice coating sauce

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
As India is in Asia, I would recommend a good Indian curry. To keep it low carb, you can replace the rice and breads with a bhaji.

• Useful
Reactions: Pipp

Munkki

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am making a massaman curry with a bit of swede instead of potatoes tonight. For any Thai curry I use Mae Ploy curry pastes. They don't have sugar added and are cheaper in Asian stores. I tend to use more meat and lower carb veggies, no sugar, then serve with cauliflower rice or salad leaves.

Lainie71

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
The term "big boned" lol repeatedly told this growing up!
As India is in Asia, I would recommend a good Indian curry. To keep it low carb, you can replace the rice and breads with a bhaji.
I thought bhaji's were sweet? Due to the onion? x

saky

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes. I cook indians vegetable curries....
I can put the recipes too....rasam, keto sambhar etc

Reactions: Antje77

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Is bhaji really healthy? I thought they were deep fried?
The problem isnt necessarily the deep frying (though it’s likely in dodgy seed oils), more the carb laden gram flour that holds it all tougher if it’s an onion bahjee. That said there are other bahjee’s that are curry like rather than a patty

• Informative
Reactions: saky and Antje77

saky

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
IMG_20231008_093037.jpg

Break fast...coffee with almond milk, nuts-walnuts, hazelnuts, cashews, peanuts, flax seed, curd in a bowl.

aylalake

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Being told “Oh go on, one won’t hurt you!”.
Conversely, the food police.
I can recommend keto YouTuber “Headbangers Kitchen”. He has a brilliant cookbook as well. Which reminds me - I lent it to a friend and need to reclaim it.Her husband owns an Indian takeaway and is diversifying into keto-friendly dishes

Lainie71

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Onion bhajis are not the only bhaji.
I was thinking something more like a mushroom bhaji.
They do not have to be sweet or deep fried.
Ah right thank you for that, I am off now to get fully armed with a recipe for mushroom bhaji's. I miss an onion bhaji so the mushroom will hopefully make up for it!! x

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Ah right thank you for that, I am off now to get fully armed with a recipe for mushroom bhaji's. I miss an onion bhaji so the mushroom will hopefully make up for it!! x
There's more than onion bhaji andmushroom bhaji. Off the top of my head I can think of bhindi (okra) bhaji, gobi (cauliflower) bhaji and brinjal (aubergine) bhaji.
None of these are like onion bhajis - they are wetter. More like a curry side dish.
I do not know if they will fulfil your onion bhaji needs. But they are lovely and as filling as rice.

Lainie71

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
There's more than onion bhaji andmushroom bhaji. Off the top of my head I can think of bhindi (okra) bhaji, gobi (cauliflower) bhaji and brinjal (aubergine) bhaji.
None of these are like onion bhajis - they are wetter. More like a curry side dish.
I do not know if they will fulfil your onion bhaji needs. But they are lovely and as filling as rice.
I am googling now lol x

Reactions: In Response