Anyone else lift weights?

Amzzzz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hey just venting a bit but I worked up to a PR attempt on the bench and low and behold I had a hypo just before doing it completely crashing my progress. So frustrating!

Has this happened to any of you and if so I would love to know how you get over the frustration. Always feels like a wasted day in the gym even though I know I just have to think about hitting it next week.

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I do weights whenever I got to the gym.
Generally, I find the weight increase my blood sugars but any prolonged cardio will increase them.
I avoid eating/bolusing before exercise.

Bludnok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I do weights as a part of my crossfit program twice a week. Again , beginners should do it wisely
Interested in this comment - I do CrossFit, have done on and off (consistency fail!) for the past couple of years. Only just diagnosed a week or so ago, and just started testing - it would be great to know what your experience has been with CF. Do you eat before your sessions??

CJCoop

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
It can be annoying and everyone kinda varies but for me: full body 3x per week. I found that walking to gym, then stretching before workout, doing the deed, warm down stretch then walk back home tends to provide consistent results.

I just started both long and short acting insulin because I wanted to come off meds to ease strain on organs (thinking about the long term effects.)

Hypos happen for me if I bike to gym instead of walk. I treat with some raisins or dried fruit and that seems do work then it doesn't come back down after that. Stays within range.