Anyone on Insulin.

ClaireG 06

I'm waiting to see a consultant at the moment to see if i can go on Byetta or need to go on insulin. The DN thinks it's more likely i will be put on insulin. I know everyone is different but how often do you inject? Do you have to inject/eat at the same time each day? How do you manage when out and about? I've also lost over 2 stone and am worried about putting weight back on if taking insulin.

At the moment i'm on Gliclazide 120mg twice a day but still getting very high readings. Am trying to low carb to. I was dx'd three years ago was on D&E,then metformin which i didnt tolerate, back to D&E, then had DKA and pneumonia just before christmas. I also have arthritis and raynauds syndrome and take Ramipril 5mg for BP. Asthma and Lupus are now being questioned.

JIMDOG1

Dislikes
patranising dr and nurses lol
Hi Claireg 06

I was diagnosed type 2 kesodosis i think thats dka aswell sorry if im wrong im a newbie, last month and put on insulin and metformin.

I current dosage is as follows 3 shots of nova rapid rotating round my big gut :lol: at meal times rougthly round same time and 1 injection of lantus long acting around 22.00 with metformin 3x day at same meal times.

I have no probs with injections realy fine needle and with weight gain my dn reconds i could control that with diet and exercise ok its cold at moment and windy with pos rain so im sitting here lol.
I have pouch that carries every thing with me and i dont mind injecting if i need to with people around im only concerned with my health at mo not what other people think they can call me a druggie i aint bothered :lol:

Jim

searley

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Diabetes, not having Jaffa Cake
ive been on insulin now for a month

was given a choice of 2 or 4 injections a day, the 4 injection option being the most flexible as you inject when you eat and at bed time, so if you are late eating you inject late, if i skip a meal which i sometime do, i skip the injection

with the 2 injection option i would have been tied a little more to ensuring i had a regular 3 meals a day

so i guess its a little more down to your lifestyle, im young active and my job means i could get called out any hour of the day

i had an appointment with my consultant today as it was 1 month since being issued my insulin, and she was happy with the way things have gone, and she is happy with my understanding of insulin and is happy for my to go away and adjust my doses as required and see her again in 3 month

HLW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm on 4 injections a day, one of long acting and three of short acting. The consultant wouldn't let me try 2 a day at first as it is so inflexible. The long acting one is at the same time each day. The other three are with meals.

The needles are tiny. The shortest ones available are 4mm long. I've actually gone back to the 6mm ones as I think they go in easier, but I think this might be just my imagination, I think in reality the 4mm ones must be just as sharp!

The injections sting occasionally if I hit a nerve (I assume) but mostly don't hurt and often I can't feel them at all.

The insulin only needs to to be kept in the fridge when not in use, it's ok at room temp for 4 weeks (this is different for different types though), so you can carry it with you when out and about.

The insulin comes in cartridges which go in pens, you can get disposable and reusable pens. The reusable ones look less 'medical' so if the look of the disposable ones put you off ask about the others.

smidge

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hiya!

I went onto insulin back in November. It was scary at first but not so bad now. My experience might be a bit different to your's as I'm not Type2, but I was originally put on one injection of basal insulin a day at bed-time, and subsequently moved that to evening meal-time. I'm now considering stopping the basal and taking quick-acting with my evening meal instead as my own basal seems to be working at the moment. I'll still only have one injection a day and control breakfast and lunch with low-carb instead. The point is, there are many different options and your DSN should discuss these with you and find a routine that suits your lifestyle. Injections themselves are usually OK - I use a 4mm needle and actually took to injecting very well for a coward :lol: Usually you don't feel the injection, but occasionally it stings a little and bleeds a little. I have bruised once. Not sure why that sometimes happens! The dose is a bit 'trial and error', so if you can have a few days off work while you get used to it, that would really help - and be prepared to do a lot of dose adjusting. Test frequently, count and record your carbs (to help with the dose adjustment) and keep a small carton of orange juice handy in case your BG goes a bit low - that's more likely in your first week or so.

Good luck.

Smidge

ClaireG 06

Thanks everyone :D You are all making me feel a lot more positive about things :D Just have to wait to see the consultant now.