Anyone on the Ascend Plus trial?

RayCox

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I am on the random Tablets 14mg only taken for 4 day . Have not tested morning bg yet

Reactions: filly

Lynn T

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
When I was on the lower doses I had nausea and sometimes had stomach problems. Been on the randomised treatment (14mg), since 23 March and I've had no symptoms whatsoever and have lost no weight so I'm convinced these are placebo.

• Hug

Sally66

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Just coming to the end of my first 6 month randomisation box and the new one arrived today.

Totally convinced I’m on the placebo as my BS shot up straightaway when I started the randomization and it’s taken months to get them back to my pre-trial levels. I did have much lower levels on the run-in tablets.

No nausea but feel the sudden stop of Semaglutide messed up my normal system and it has been really hard work getting them under control again.

One thought I had is that if I’m on the placebo and Semaglutide is really working then I’m missing out for 5 years. I’m 56 now and I’ll be 61 when the trial ends. As the disease gets hard to manage as we age, I am a bit regretful that I’m not getting 5 years of benefits.

• Hug

theresaxx

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Just coming to the end of my first 6 month randomisation box and the new one arrived today.

Totally convinced I’m on the placebo as my BS shot up straightaway when I started the randomization and it’s taken months to get them back to my pre-trial levels. I did have much lower levels on the run-in tablets.

No nausea but feel the sudden stop of Semaglutide messed up my normal system and it has been really hard work getting them under control again.

One thought I had is that if I’m on the placebo and Semaglutide is really working then I’m missing out for 5 years. I’m 56 now and I’ll be 61 when the trial ends. As the disease gets hard to manage as we age, I am a bit regretful that I’m not getting 5 years of benefits.
I am coming to end of 2nd lot of run in tablets my blood glucose levels have come down significantly, I feel so much better with increased energy levels, sleep improvement. praying that I get semalutide when I go on Randomised.
I have been thinking similar to you as prior to starting trial my levels were really high I am 62 and if on placebo I will be missing out on feeling energetic and well for 5 years.

Lynn T

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

Hi. I agree with you 100%. If we're doing this trial and on placebo I feel I'm missing out on something that could help with my weight. I wanted to try and get the real thing from my doctor as I am totally convinced I am taking placebo pills. Don't know whether to carry on with something that I feel I am wasting my time with for the next 4 and half years.

• Agree
Reactions: Sally66 and filly

theresaxx

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi. I agree with you 100%. If we're doing this trial and on placebo I feel I'm missing out on something that could help with my weight. I wanted to try and get the real thing from my doctor as I am totally convinced I am taking placebo pills. Don't know whether to carry on with something that I feel I am wasting my time with for the next 4 and half years.

theresaxx

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
A friend of mine type 2 diabetic had heart attack and was put onto this medication for 6 months and all was well with glucose and weight loss, but doctor has taken him off this medication. now bloods and weight have gone up asked to go back on the meds but GP refusing to prescribe semaglutide. I am guessing it’s expensive

• Informative

jmj444

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have just started the randomisation. I guess I will find out what one I am on as my appetite will return. Good luck everyone that is on the trial hope they get some good results from the trial.

Sally66

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
If I’m honest I wasn’t great on the run-in tablets. Low levels and lost weight but had constant nausea. Initially I was relieved to get what I believe is the placebo but now I wish I’d stayed on it for longer to have achieved my weight goals. Back to the daily battle of low carb and exercise.

I’m also surprised no one is checking up on our reactions to what we are on.

Lilak

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Just thought aid start a discussion here for anyone on the Ascend Plus trial by Oxford University.

Started my “Run In” phase yesterday and so far so good. No side affects other than fatigue. How are other folks doing?
Got another week's supply of the 7mg run-in tablets left, but new batch of the randomisation tablets arrived in post this morning, with instructions to start first thing tomorrow morning.
During the run-in, I had minor constipation issues, lack of appetite, and lost approximately 3kg.
I don't take my own BG levels, as they are dependant on day-to-day activities, and prefer to get tested via my GP.
I am due for HbA1C test in 2 days time, and expect that to show a small drop in BG levels.
Will see how I feel in about a month, and request another HbA1C test in 3 months time.
As far as anything else goes, I did notice a huge drop in alcohol intake, I just didn't feel like drinking. In the past, I would have 6 cans of lager in the fridge that wouldn't last a couple of nights - I now have 2 cans that have been there for over 5 weeks!
Also, BMI is a load of c#@p, as it doesn't take into account an individual's personal levels of fitness (muscle weighs far more than fat), so I never take that seriously (I am a retired firefighter, and maintain my fitness levels, yet have a BMI of 26.1).

Last edited:
Reactions: filly and theresaxx

minervaT2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi all, I just wonder whether all of you got an invitation letter to join the trial. Is there a way to participate the trial without the invitation letter, please. It seems I am eligible (I am type2, living in the UK) but not received invitation letter.
Thanks.

theresaxx

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi all, I just wonder whether all of you got an invitation letter to join the trial. Is there a way to participate the trial without the invitation letter, please. It seems I am eligible (I am type2, living in the UK) but not received invitation letter.
Thanks.
I had invitation letter, not sure if you can volunteer to join the trial.

Lynn T

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks.
Hiya. Just looking at my invitation letter and it says "you can take part if you are at least 55, have type 2 diabetes and have not had a heart attack or stroke". It says they did a computer search of med records kept by the NHS and our details were sent to the people doing the trial. The website is www.ascend-plus-trial.org if you want to contact them. Hope this helps.

Lilak

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks.
I too had an invitation letter, did my questionnaire online, and was accepted.
As already mentioned, it wouldn't hurt to contact Ascend, and ask if you meet the requirements for the trial, and if so, whether you could be considered to take part.
Good luck.

Reactions: filly and minervaT2

Samstel

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi on first bottle about half way through. No noticeable side effects, however just missed a tablet this morning. Can I continue tomorrow?

Lilak

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi on first bottle about half way through. No noticeable side effects, however just missed a tablet this morning. Can I continue tomorrow?
Yes, don't try to do a 'catch-up' (the instructions state you can still take it the same day *if you have not eaten anything for at least 6 hours AND have not had anything to drink or taken any oral medication for at least 2 hours*, wait at least half an hour after taking the study tablet before taking any other oral medication), resume as normal the following day.
Also, if you miss a whole day or more, do not make up for any missed tablet(s), and do not take more than 1 Ascend Plus tablet per day.

Lilak

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Got another week's supply of the 7mg run-in tablets left, but new batch of the randomisation tablets arrived in post this morning, with instructions to start first thing tomorrow morning.
During the run-in, I had minor constipation issues, lack of appetite, and lost approximately 3kg.
I don't take my own BG levels, as they are dependant on day-to-day activities, and prefer to get tested via my GP.
I am due for HbA1C test in 2 days time, and expect that to show a small drop in BG levels.
Will see how I feel in about a month, and request another HbA1C test in 3 months time.
Just checked, my HbA1C results are back, now BG levels are at 42 mmol/mol, so just outside non-diabetic range of 20.0 - 41.0 mmol/mol.
That is down from 45 mmol/mol a month before starting on the first run-in course (the 3mg tablets).
Will see if that changes on the next blood test in 3 months.
For now, I am carrying a pack of extra strong mints in my pocket in case of a hypo (cheaper than glucose tablets, won't melt like chocolate, and much easier to carry around compared to a can of 'full fat' coke).
Update on other factors;
- Constipation seems to have passed.
- Weight seems to have stabilised.
- Appetite fluctuates, but mostly don't feel hungry most mornings after taking the trial tablet, and well into the afternoon.
- No pangs for alcohol, even when out for the odd meal (doing wonders for the beer belly lol).
So, all in all, looking good, but can't be sure whether on Semaglutide or placebo until I have my next blood test.

GMarieA

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi. I'm about 2 weeks into the randomisation and convinced I am taking the placebo. Did anyone else notice a difference in the taste of their run-in drug compared with their randomisation drug? I found the actual semaglutide tablet that I took during the run-in was very bitter on my tongue when swallowing. The randomised drug I'm taking now has no such taste and is completely bland which is why I am sure it must be the placebo. What have other people experienced in regards to the taste?