Anyone tried the Slimpod programme?

Dee-Cee

Type 2 newbie here looking for advice…
I have paroxysmal atrial fibrillation which, from the research I’ve done, could be triggered by a low carb diet, something I am not willing to risk, despite the information pack I finally received from the GP surgery’s diabetes nurse recommending it.
I need to lose weight but also change unhealthy eating habits.
A search for trial packs of meal replacement shakes (slim fast upset my stomach when I used them previously) brought up information about the Slimpod programme and I’m looking for feedback from anyone who has used it, please.

markpj31

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes.
Not used it, but it seems they offer a 10 day free trial, so might aswell give it a shot?

catinahat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Reality tv
Welcome to the forum @Dee-Cee
Among other heart problems I also suffer with AF, it can be associated with many things.
Previous heart attack/surgery, diabetes, high blood pressure, being overweight, stress, stimulants like coffee, smoking, alcohol, drugs, poor sleep. I have never been warned about a low carb diet. My Dr and the cardiologist are ok with my low carb way of life, in fact my cardiologist encouraged me to go low carb to get my sugar levels and weight down after the operation.
In the last 8 years of low carb the episodes of AF are greatly reduced I'm only troubled by it now if I over indulge in coffee or booze. There are probably other things that will trigger AF for you, we are all different after all but I think it would be a mistake to dismiss low carb with out giving it a try.

Dee-Cee

Welcome to the forum @Dee-Cee
Among other heart problems I also suffer with AF, it can be associated with many things.
Previous heart attack/surgery, diabetes, high blood pressure, being overweight, stress, stimulants like coffee, smoking, alcohol, drugs, poor sleep. I have never been warned about a low carb diet. My Dr and the cardiologist are ok with my low carb way of life, in fact my cardiologist encouraged me to go low carb to get my sugar levels and weight down after the operation.
In the last 8 years of low carb the episodes of AF are greatly reduced I'm only troubled by it now if I over indulge in coffee or booze. There are probably other things that will trigger AF for you, we are all different after all but I think it would be a mistake to dismiss low carb with out giving it a try.

Dee-Cee

Thank you @catinahat for your reply and welcome.
Since my diagnosis at the beginning of January, I have been left to do my own research and learning about the condition, until a 30 minute phone call with the diabetes nurse last week.
I had initially, after my research, thought that the low carb route would be my best option but, having had numerous bad reactions to medication since my AF diagnosis almost 6 years ago, I decided to check whether low carb would be suitable. I found a few mentions of the possibility of a link and, since talking to a GP is almost impossible, put it in the ‘too hard to cope with’ box.
Your comments have made me feel more positive about the low carb diet and I will be insisting that I talk to a GP this week. I have not seen a cardiologist since moving back to the UK over 3 years ago and, until last week, had had no AF episodes for around 8 months. I had various tests after the worst run of episodes last summer and, because they were all good results, the cardiologist decided that I did not need to be seen…
I gave up Jaffa cakes with my diabetes diagnosis, they were my go to stress reliever :)

Reactions: catinahat