Are preworkout safe for diabetics?

T1Sean99

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Can Type 1 diabetes take pre-workout? How do you work out the sugar in them? If the label says do not take if on prescription or medical condition without consulation first, does that mean i can't take it?

Maco

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Can Type 1 diabetes take pre-workout? How do you work out the sugar in them? If the label says do not take if on prescription or medical condition without consulation first, does that mean i can't take it?

Hi, i train 6 days a week. Heavy weightlifting sessions where without preworkout I would be useless. There are plenty of options that are carb free & they don’t spike my sugars at all. To name a few I’ve used, applied nutrition ABE, Rocket Ride & PHD pump/burn.

Reactions: LaoDan

T1Sean99

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, i train 6 days a week. Heavy weightlifting sessions where without preworkout I would be useless. There are plenty of options that are carb free & they don’t spike my sugars at all. To name a few I’ve used, applied nutrition ABE, Rocket Ride & PHD pump/burn.

Thanks, for the response, i bought some Pre-Jym but if it's too risky will give it my brother

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Double expresso could be a cheaper option IMO (caffeine hit and zero sugar). You need to like coffee I suppose.

Reactions: oldgreymare

Maco

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Double expresso could be a cheaper option IMO (caffeine hit and zero sugar). You need to like coffee I suppose.

I think the caffeine content in a double espresso is a lot less than a pre workout. Just quickly looking I think a standard double espresso has 60-100mg of caffeine. I’ve just looked at the pre workout in my cupboard & a 12mg service contains 250mg of caffeine. Cost wise it’s £20 a tub with 30 servings so roughly 0.60p a serving. Most gyms these days under normal circumstances will sell you a pre workout in a serving usually at £1 a go so if your going to the gym 2/3 times a week that’s probably a better option as you won’t really miss £1 a go.

Just depends how hard your training & how much you want to push yourself I suppose, with most things related to supplements I would definitely say it’s more of a mental boost than anything.

Reactions: LaoDan

LaoDan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
The term “new normal “
I’ve tried a ton of different things. As a T2, if I have a carby pre-workout, I spike and crash within the workout, which makes for a lame workout. What works best for me is a high protein meal about 90 minutes before my session, I.e. eggs. 1 yoke the rest whites. Then I drink loads of sugar free BCAAs while training. This fuels my whole session.

nothing worse than running out of gas under the bar lol

Maco

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I’ve tried a ton of different things. As a T2, if I have a carby pre-workout, I spike and crash within the workout, which makes for a lame workout. What works best for me is a high protein meal about 90 minutes before my session, I.e. eggs. 1 yoke the rest whites. Then I drink loads of sugar free BCAAs while training. This fuels my whole session.

nothing worse than running out of gas under the bar lol

Forgot to mention BCAA’s, I’m the same I always drink plenty of 0g sugar 0g carb bcaa throughout a session. I’m type 1 so slightly different to you but I usually have 1 banana + 25g peanut butter or a Rice Krispies square bar (21g carbs) as a pre workout along side a pre workout drink.

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I think the caffeine content in a double espresso is a lot less than a pre workout. Just quickly looking I think a standard double espresso has 60-100mg of caffeine. I’ve just looked at the pre workout in my cupboard & a 12mg service contains 250mg of caffeine. Cost wise it’s £20 a tub with 30 servings so roughly 0.60p a serving. Most gyms these days under normal circumstances will sell you a pre workout in a serving usually at £1 a go so if your going to the gym 2/3 times a week that’s probably a better option as you won’t really miss £1 a go.

Just depends how hard your training & how much you want to push yourself I suppose, with most things related to supplements I would definitely say it’s more of a mental boost than anything.
Fair enough. I am being a bit flippant. I am practically immune to caffeine and all my workouts are in my house right now! If you feel a boost from it then I guess it is a choice and as you say signals to your mind that you are going to train hard.

Maco

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Fair enough. I am being a bit flippant. I am practically immune to caffeine and all my workouts are in my house right now! If you feel a boost from it then I guess it is a choice and as you say signals to your mind that you are going to train hard.

Luckily for me I have keys to a gym so I can still train. It’s definitely a mind over matter thing with most supplements

Reactions: oldgreymare

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Luckily for me I have keys to a gym so I can still train. It’s definitely a mind over matter thing with most supplements
Very lucky to have access! I work in a gym but no way to get inside so its body weight plus kettlebells and bands for me. Works well if you add in consistency and stretching a lot (usually find this bit hard). Still too much coffee! Good luck with your training.