Aspartame & Candarel

sleepylu

Is it any wonder that there is so much confusion when the same website gives such contradictory advide?
This website recommends giving someone Candarel as part of a diabetic xmas hamper whilst other people are discussing aspartame as a poison.

I have been eating muller lites like they're going out of fashion for about 4 years & used candarel on cereal & the odd cuppa coffee. But for the first time his week had a violent reaction to candarel, bg shot to 10.9 from 6, was hot & sweaty & dizzy.

Maybe i'd have been better with another sweetener or even sugar?!

Cameraman

Dislikes
Rude or ignorant people
Muller lites - dizzy ?? I eat muller lites and have the odd dizzy spell, usually put it down to standing up too fast or something. Normally its after I've been for a run and then had a cup of tea and a yogurt :roll: Might cut the yogurts out and see if theres any differance.

totsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
liars, animal cruelty
i personally dont like the taste of sweeteners so wouldnt have any :D

Cameraman

Dislikes
Rude or ignorant people
sleepylu said:
Cameraman I would be interested to know how your non muller lite trial goes.....

No change so far, but I'm going to give it a few days first, before jumping to conclusions.

candyrel

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Dislikes
loathe cheese and yoghurt, spinach, rhubarb and apricots
I sprinkle Canderel onto my porridge and as yet havent had any problems....I have been using it for a couple of years as I have a major problem with sugar...should I be worried?

Cameraman

Dislikes
Rude or ignorant people
sleepylu said:
Cameraman I would be interested to know how your non muller lite trial goes.....

I've been off the muller lights since the date of the first post on here, I used to eat 2 a day, one after my run and one after my main meal. Cut them out totally and at first no differance, but now there out of my system, I've stopped having the dizzy spells :shock:

Maybe a coincidence, as its no proper test, but I'll not be having them anymore just in case. :cry:

Thirsty

Cameraman, have you had your blood pressure checked recently? I have to take meds for high blood pressure and they sometimes work too well, causing dizziness and fainting. Other drugs, including some antidepressants can have the same effect.

sleepylu

I have done my own controlled test! Mullerlite for lunch ~ dizzy within 30 mins. Candarel on the porridge ~ dizzy within half an hour. I stopped diet drinks 3 months ago cos they made me feel weird.
So I have only had the occassional light headed feeling since stopping all 3, it's just taken til now to realise the aspartame link!
Due for the 3 month check up next week, so will see if BP is ok then.
Many thanks for your comments.

howsitgoing

It is quite simple, don't eat sugar or any substitutes. I is like smoking, you can't smoke a little, you have to have the will power to stop completely.

Type One Devil :twisted:

HLW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I really don't agree - I drink diet coke (in many shops and eating places it's the only thing apart from water that doesn't have sugar in (not including tea/coffee/alcohol, I don't drink those) and don't eat other sweet things. Though yes I'm sure it's better to avoid these things completely, increases risk of lots of nasty things I've read!

Doczoc

HLW said:
I really don't agree - I drink diet coke (in many shops and eating places it's the only thing apart from water that doesn't have sugar in (not including tea/coffee/alcohol, I don't drink those) and don't eat other sweet things. Though yes I'm sure it's better to avoid these things completely, increases risk of lots of nasty things I've read!

Fizzy water? I love sparkling water!

HLW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
To me, fizzy water has a very strong taste, sort of minerally, I really don't like it. And I know it's silly, but I object to paying to still water when I can get it from the tap for free! When I remember I buy cheap supermarket bottled water to take out with me, but I usually forget to buy it or to take it with me :(

Jo123

Does anyone find aspartame raises their BG, one night I was really hungry before bed, took my BG to see if it was really low, it was 5.9 this was 4 hrs after low carb dinner and I am not yet diabetic. Only thing I can think was as I was feeling hungry I had had three cups of hot sugar free ribena. Anyone heard of aspartame raising BG or was it another reason?

Doczoc

I had a can of diet coke a month into my new diet. Within 30 minutes I had a headache, didn't check BG but that was enough to put me off!

fergus

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Jo123, I haven't tried sugar free ribena, but often with these sorts of products what they actually mean is no added glucose. Are there still fruit sugars on the ingredients list? That would be a more likely explanation perhaps?

All the best,

fergus

gefmayhem

Dislikes
salad
Doczoc said:
I had a can of diet coke a month into my new diet. Within 30 minutes I had a headache, didn't check BG but that was enough to put me off!

Could your headache have been caused by a caffine hit?
I drink caffine free diet coke - loads of it, but occasionally I have some diet coke and that gives be a hell of a headache

Doczoc

gefmayhem said:
Doczoc said:

Could your headache have been caused by a caffine hit?
I drink caffine free diet coke - loads of it, but occasionally I have some diet coke and that gives be a hell of a headache

Nah, I have 3 REAL cups of coffee a day, not dropped that out yet, hope I never have to.