Aspirin for glucose control?

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I'd like to know if anyone has knowledge of or experience with using aspirin to lower blood glucose and reduce insulin resistance. I've read about several studies that seem to show high dose aspirin (>1g/day) can actually improve these things, published as far back as 2001, but I can't find anyone online recommending it as a therapy similar to metformin for T2 diabetics.

I'm a T2 diabetic currently on 1500mg/day of metformin. I also take alpha lipoic acid and am interested in any other supplements or medications that could improve my insulin resistance with minimal risk of side effects. My thinking is that reduced insulin resistance would mean more energy and less sugar converted to fat, which in turn would help with weight loss.

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Yes, these are risks to be sure, but what's unclear to me is how great a risk they might be. According to two different studies I found, a 325mg/day dosage leads to a 3 to 4 times greater risk of upper gastrointestinal bleeding (UGIB) than no aspirin. However, I don't see numbers for the absolute risk (e.g. incidence per thousand). According to the Nurses' Drug Guide, UGIB is a serious possible side effect, but not a common one.

To make it more interesting, another study I came across found that the risk of UGIB was highest in those taking it for a week or two, and lower for longer-term use. This would seem to indicate that many people who are going to experience UGIB do so rather soon after starting it.

I haven't dug into the numbers on renal failure yet, but what I've seen so far still gives me pause. At the same time, I'm still not entirely convinced the risks outweigh the benefits, especially for someone like me who also has a predisposition to heart disease (hypertension and high cholesterol) and might benefit in that way as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 2 people

lindisfel

Expert
Hi Kev,
Have you tried low carbing, eating to meter and eating low G.I. ?
Not so risky as a load of aspirin.
D.

I'd like to know if anyone has knowledge of or experience with using aspirin to lower blood glucose and reduce insulin resistance. I've read about several studies that seem to show high dose aspirin (>1g/day) can actually improve these things, published as far back as 2001, but I can't find anyone online recommending it as a therapy similar to metformin for T2 diabetics.

I'm a T2 diabetic currently on 1500mg/day of metformin. I also take alpha lipoic acid and am interested in any other supplements or medications that could improve my insulin resistance with minimal risk of side effects. My thinking is that reduced insulin resistance would mean more energy and less sugar converted to fat, which in turn would help with weight loss.

Reactions: 2 people
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi Kev,
Have you tried low carbing, eating to meter and eating low G.I. ?
Not so risky as a load of aspirin.
D.

Yes. I did that for a few months and was very successful (A1c went from 8.1% to 6.4%, FG came down from 165 to 110mg/dL (9.1 to 6.1mmol/L). Then, as always, I fell off the wagon (so to speak) and began eating things I like vs. things I should eat. Now my FG is back up to 133mg/dL.

I'm not looking to drugs as a substitute for a healthy lifestyle. What I am looking for is something that will quicken weight loss, and I believe improving insulin sensitivity may do this, as well as bringing my BG down. The goal would be to reach a lower "stable weight" where my metabolism will improve, I can get off meds, and hopefully feel good enough to stay that way.