Averaging 20-25 mmol

A

AnnieC

Hi everyone.

I was diagnosed about two years with type 2. I was 18 stone at the time. I have lost 75lbs and I am a decent weight for my height and build now. I have steadily been 12st 8 for a good while. All of a sudden in the last few days my blood sugar has been in the early to mid 20s everytime I check.

Please give me some advice - how do I get it down? What should I do?

Thanks in advance!
If you have been ok for the last 2 years are you doing something different or under a lot of stress that has changed things

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
SPOT ON! Thanks bluetit! You have absolutely nailed my diagnosis!

:hilarious: :hilarious::hilarious: Please don't be frightened of fat ...... not only have I lost over 4 stones and kept my BS under control, I have also reduced my cholesterol lipids significantly. I am not the only one on this forum to have done this! My triglycerides are 0.5. Low fat products are usually stuffed with added sugars and carbs, not to mention plastic and chemicals.

Reactions: 3 people

Calibos

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
If you have been ok for the last 2 years are you doing something different or under a lot of stress that has changed things

Promotion at work (school teacher) and twins last year. Now have four kids under the age of 6.

Stress? What is that? :)

Reactions: 7 people

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Promotion at work (school teacher) and twins last year. Now have four kids under the age of 6.

Stress? What is that? :)
It is really worthwhile buying
Low carb high fat food revelation by Andreas Eenfeld, MD regarding lower carbs and higher fats.... It is a book of true facts and they are astonishing.

My hubby has also low 4st since (finally) joining me lower carbing. His cholesterol and blood presssure is now superb....(he non diabetic). His bgs were always normal.(frustrated at that-but hey ho!!)

I have always been lean and mean due to lower carbs... But I never had enough fat and I now love my 2sq dark chocolate most nights.

Reactions: 4 people
A

AnnieC

I appreciate your suggestions.

Full fat yoghurt for breakfast - just wondering why?

Please anyone else with examples of what you eat I would really appreciate more please. I am booked in to the Dr's for Tuesday.[/QUOTE]
Wish I could s
Thanks Phil and DonnellysDogs!!!!

Please anyone else with examples of what you eat I would really appreciate more please. I am booked in to the Dr's for Tuesday.
I have an omlette or scrambled egg with ham and cheese other times I have salamis with cheese olives and some tomato and cucumber or I may have sardines mashed with vinegar and mayo on toasted Burgen Linseed and Soya bread

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 people

suzie_girl

:)Bless you, sounds fun.

I agree with the others, get yourself a meter. Each meal wait 2 hours after you finished then test. This is how you find out what's causing your issue.

For me personally I wouldn't touch a breakfast cereal with a 40 foot pole, or those fruits, or toast.

I am known to have the odd sandwich if it's got a fairly similar bread to filling ratio in terms of meats or something else non sugary, at most once a week usually I just don't eat bread. I probably qualify as low carb generally. Happily for me I only really like berries out of fruit I am more of a veg girl, and I think cars are pitifully dull so that's good fortune for me.

I would say you have come to the right place. When I was first diagnosed I hardly dared eat it is all quite scary. Oddly the only high readings I got at the time was when I actually left too long between meals and that made my blood sugar bottom out and then fly up! I would never have known about that or about testing if I'd not come here so do listen to these guys they can really help, don't worry :) Those breakfast tips are spot on. I personally have to low fat it also as I can't process fats either (thanks foxc2 gene) but I love breakfast yogurt and berries too it's completely delicious and getting breakfast right seems to set me up for good sugars all day. I personally heap cinnamon on it too because it's yummy but also seems to help with blood sugar control too.

I agree on those levels however I would see the doctor, it would make me feel very in
but also a bit panicky. There can be underlying reasons, for example my mum's levels went up when she had a tooth infection.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Sorry for the wait, I have been having homemade curry with salad for me tea.

Today
Breakfast ham omelette,

Apple mid morning,

Lunch homemade soup

Tea chicken curry.

Supper full fat yoghurt, 85% choc and a couple of strawberries.

Wonderful and no spikes!

Full English breakfast in the morning(no hash browns!!)
Bacon, eggs, black pudding, mushrooms, toms, beans, sausage!!

Happy days!

Sometimes in a rush I have yoghurt in the morning as this really makes you feel really full all morning.

There are lots of recipes on the forum, seek them out!

Paul59

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
A good fry up, but not cooked in oil grilled on a griddle under the grill so no fat is involved & poached eggs, or I like Burgen toasted with peanut butter & cheese then grilled to melt the cheese. I always try to have something every 3-4 hrs just to keep topped up. hehe.

Reactions: 3 people

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I didn't mention I cook the food in natrual oils not your usual frying or cooking oils.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi and welcome!

Have a sniff round the Low Carb section of the forum.
It's got masses of information.

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
A bit harsh there no carbs
Perhaps calibos took the nhs advice on diagnosis
That would have been an average sort of day for me before I was diagnosed
Sorry, you are correct. That list of food does sound like the government recommended "healthy" low fat high carb diet. Following it will eventually put a type 2 diabetic on insulin.

phil1966

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks Phil and DonnellysDogs!!!!

Please anyone else with examples of what you eat I would really appreciate more please. I am booked in to the Dr's for Tuesday.

The reason I have full fat is because when they remove fat from things (including yoghurt) it has to be replaced with something and that something is generally sugar. Fat is far better for you than sugar, particularly for us diabetics :)

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
The reason I have full fat is because when they remove fat from things (including yoghurt) it has to be replaced with something and that something is generally sugar. Fat is far better for you than sugar, particularly for us diabetics :)

Totally agree