Avocados - the T2's friend......

Ardbeg

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Self serving politicians
I've been eating a few of these lately, so pleased to read this article from my inbox today:

Despite the avocado's reputation as a calorie-laden, high-fat vegetable, it has no cholesterol. The avocado is a source of healthy fats known as omega-3 fatty acids. It also will not spike your blood sugar, even though it does have carbohydrates. The glycemic index, which uses a scale from 1 to 100 (higher numbers indicate foods that raise blood sugar higher and faster than foods with lower numbers), rates the avocado with a glycemic index of less than 15. So it is a great addition to a diabetes meal plan.

The avocado is filled with vitamins and minerals, such as vitamins C and K, as well as folate. And don't forget the fiber. Avocados are a good source of that, too. It's a beneficial nutrition choice, whether sliced into a salad or mashed into guacamole. So go ahead. Add some delicious variety to your diabetes meal plan.

Full article to read here: http://diabetes.about.com/od/nutrition/ ... s.htm?nl=1

timo2

Dislikes
Glycemic excursions
Ssssshh, Ardbeg - the avocado is a low-carber secret. You're not meant to tell everyone.

This is supposed to be a tough gig. :twisted:

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
I adore them. usually just with Balsamic vinegar or Worcester source. Lidl's usually have them cheaper, but you have to wait for them to ripen.
AND why should anyone worry about dietary cholesterol. It DOES NOT become cholesterol in the blood ( that comes from carbs).
Hana