Baby Insulin Infusion-Injection-Site Problems

DanisV

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Diabetes, both type 1 and type 2 !!!
Hello everyone! I hope someone could help us. We are relatively young parents of a 5,5 months old boy who was diagnosed with T1D when he was only 3 months.....

He is using MiniMed 640g with CGM (Enlite).

Lately we are experiencing problems with insulin injection sites, that is where the infusion set comes in. We normally have 3 places available: buttock left and right and one leg (since on the opposite he has CGM).

The insulin absorption is quite poor when inserted in the butt, and we do not know why... Sometimes we have to do the correction 3x stronger from suggested one to have some effect :(

Can anyone help us with some advice?

Edit: infusion-set is MiniMed Sure-T

Thank you!

Last edited:

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
HI @DanisV Welcome to the forum :)

What infusion sets are you using ? I also use the 640g and have tried a few sets some with issues so may be able to help.

DanisV

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Diabetes, both type 1 and type 2 !!!
Hi! I forgot to put it in the thread, sorry. Now its done! So it is MiniMed Sure-T (acc to doctors it should be inserted into the fatty places, and our son does not have them unfortunately)

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
The doctors are correct in that it is best placed on fatty tissue, I also use sure t's and have them to be the best infusion set for me but I only use my tum, however as your son is a baby and you're talking about having to increase his correction doses then I would suggest you go back to your doctor and get him to check the sites and see if there's any issues with the sites there. They are best placed for checking for lumps and to ensure the sites are all ok to use, sure t's are the most effective infusion set for accuracy based on my experience of using other sets which were plastic cannula sets, so I can't see how the infusion set would be the issue, it sounds more likely that the sites may be the problem.

knipster

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi! I forgot to put it in the thread, sorry. Now its done! So it is MiniMed Sure-T (acc to doctors it should be inserted into the fatty places, and our son does not have them unfortunately)
when the doctors say the fatty places, they dont mean places where severe amounts of fatty tissue have been built up, they just mean places where there is a longer distance from the outer layer of skin to the muscle or bone, so near the knee for example is a bad idea but anywhere on the stomach, or outside of the thighs is perfect. good luck x