Back on track with a vengeance

captainlynne

For various reasons I'd put myself last this year. Then I had my hbA1c test. While browsing in Waterstones I saw a book by Dr Michael Mosley, with a foreword by Prof Roy Taylor (he of the Newcastle Diet), called The 8-week Blood Sugar Diet. Basically low-carb Meditterranean eating, 800 calories per day. It made sense, and I thought that even I could stick to something for 8 weeks so I bought the book. As usual I intended to start on 1st January. Then the Diabetes Nurse rang with the test result and that the GP would want me on Metformin, I mentioned the book, and told her I would start it on 1st January, which she was happy with.

But then I decided to start straight away. Cleared all the food I couldn't eat out and filled fridge and freezer with food I could eat. Then back to testing. That night (18/12/15) my Bg was 9.5. The following morning, fasting Bg was 10.9! This morning (2/1/16) fasting Bg is 5.8. My waist has gone from 49" to 44" and my weight from 16 stone to 15stone 1pound (13 pounds lost!)

Checked in with Diabetes Nurse on New Year's Eve and she was so thrilled she's going to follow the plan herself. I'll be checking in with her once a month to monitor my BP, and just keep an eye on how I'm doing.

So that's two weeks down of the eight weeks, and I couldn't be happier.

Reactions: 6 people

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Nice one!

I have to say that Real Food always appeals far more to me than those diet shake things.

Congratulations. :D

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
And well done from me too - keep up the good work!

Robbity