Back to good old lantus!

Lilllaura87

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
After much persuasion from myself, my doctor has finally agreed to put me back on lantus! After much research on his behalf about this cancer risk, it is apparent this is only a concern for people with type 2 diabetes who are on extremely high doses!

Was just wondering if anybody else has read this too?

AndyS

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I came off Lantus onto Levemir and have never looked back.
That said it did work for me quite well for the best part of 18 months but it never did seem to last a full 24 hours. Also I found it stung something nasty when I injected, and that was at room temp.

I think with many things it is all a case of different things work best for different people.

Glad you managed to get back to your prefered option and I hope it works well for you ;)

/A

Lilllaura87

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi andy! I've been on lantus,levimer AND Humulin the past 6 months! Found levimer didn't work at all for me, it just seamed non existent in my body hence going into DKA 3 weeks ago... It's all very strange how these insulins effect different people :)

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Lilllaura, I had a similar experience and switched to levemir and then Insulatard to get away from lantus, none give me the same control despite resorting to split doses and experimenting with various doses from morning to night. After a few months trying I went back to lantus despite having some issues with its long term use, I find it gives me the best control possible and it last the full 24 hours on only one injection.

Nigel

pinkjinks58

Dislikes
Hair, Dogs, Spiders, Rain & Ignorant people!
Lilllaura87 said:
Hi andy! I've been on lantus,levimer AND Humulin the past 6 months! Found levimer didn't work at all for me, it just seamed non existent in my body hence going into DKA 3 weeks ago... It's all very strange how these insulins effect different people :)

Hey, I was told to move from Lantus to Levimir which worked wonders for my sugar levels but I had a bad reaction to the preservative in the Levimir which created really sensitive red lumps where I'd injected. The hospital didnt mentioned Humulin to me - is this a long acting insulin like Levimir and Lantus? I've got a hospital appointment next week so might mention it to them. :)

Jess

Lilllaura87

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hiya jess!

Yes Humulin is a long acting insulin, it's the insulin they used in mixtard 30 ( the insulin that has both long acting and short acting in one cartridge) I used to be on the mixtard 30 when I was younger and had the 2 injections a day, but changed to the 4 long acting and fast acting separate insulins for more freedom! It is an older insulin but works just as well! I just like the stability of the lantus :)

Lilllaura87

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Nigel, I'm glad someone else has had the same experience! I'm starting back on my lantus tonight so fingers crossed I can start getting back to normal :)well.... Whatever Normal means!