Fergum10

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
celery!
Hi All,

I just received a letter from the Eye screening clinic after my test a couple of weeks ago. I'm a bit fazed as it said I had some background retinopathy which has now put the fear of God into me. I was only diagnosed with T2 diabetes two months ago. Since then I've gone on the low carb diet, and my BG levels are all under 6. Most times in the 4's or 5'.5s.

What does all this mean, is it normal to have this so early on? I'm on metformin 2 x 500g a day.
I phoned my GP yesterday on the matter of a torn calf muscle, also whilst I had him, asked him for a new prescription for testing strips. He went bananas and said I only need to test myself once a week with type 2, and that regards meds I'm "hardly on anything'".

He's agreed to give me strips every two months. (How nice of him!) When I told him my BG levels ,he said they were 'too good'...Why are they' too good', what the hell does that mean?! He didn't suggest I reduce the meds. In fact he couldn't wait to get me off the phone. I know he's busy but this is important to me and I need to know I'm being looked after. Does anyone else have this trouble?

Regards the low carb diet, I told him I'd cut out all carbs, and again he sounded exasperated and said YOU MUST HAVE CARBS WITH YOUR MEAL AT ALL TIMES!. He said "Desmond would tell you all about that!) . I told him I get all the carbs I need from vegetables..He then said. "ah well, yes". What the hell? Are all GP's not clued up? As for "DESMOND" Im still waiting to hear from them!

Seriously do I need to be worried about my eyes?

Reactions: Freema

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Hi @Fergum10

Knowing that type 2 can go undiagnosed for some time this may explain why you have some small changes to your retina, but hopefully your good bg control will ensure it doesn't progress any further.

I'm sure your fellow type 2's will be along shortly with some replies to your other issues, but if you want to learn about diabetic retinopathy then take a look at the following link:

http://www.diabeticretinopathy.org.uk/back_diabetic_retinopathy.html

Good luck.

BeccyB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi @Fergum10

Knowing that type 2 can go undiagnosed for some time this may explain why you have some small changes to your retina, but hopefully your good bg control will ensure it doesn't progress any further.

I agree, I would imagine if you keep up those numbers you won't find the retinopathy getting worse and I believe it's possible to even reverse the early changes. I've had full on retinopathy for quite a while now (I'm T1) and with the treatment I still see perfectly well so please don't start panicking that you're going blind or anything (like I did in the beginning :) )

sally and james

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Diet only
@Fergum10 I'm afraid there are a lot of GP's around like yours and this is why so many people suffer so badly. Keep doing what you are doing and you will do just fine. On the subject of retinopathy, my husband was diagnosed with quite advance damage, straight in to laser treatment, BUT none of this has progressed further, indeed it has reversed, almost all indications of past problems have gone and there has been no more laser work. How? Sticking to a low carb diet for the past three years. Keeping his numbers low (HbA1c in low 30's). Oh, and he gave up all diabetic meds after about 4 months.
As for carbs with every meal, quite unnecessary.
Should you be worried about your eyes? Yes, if it reminds you to stick to low carb living.
Sally

Reactions: Freema and BeccyB

Fergum10

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
celery!
Hi @Fergum10

I'm sure your fellow type 2's will be along shortly with some replies to your other issues, but if you want to learn about diabetic retinopathy then take a look at the following link:

http://www.diabeticretinopathy.org.uk/back_diabetic_retinopathy.html

Good luck.
Thank you!

Fergum10

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
celery!
@Fergum10 I'm afraid there are a lot of GP's around like yours and this is why so many people suffer so badly. Keep doing what you are doing and you will do just fine. On the subject of retinopathy, my husband was diagnosed with quite advance damage, straight in to laser treatment, BUT none of this has progressed further, indeed it has reversed, almost all indications of past problems have gone and there has been no more laser work. How? Sticking to a low carb diet for the past three years. Keeping his numbers low (HbA1c in low 30's). Oh, and he gave up all diabetic meds after about 4 months.
As for carbs with every meal, quite unnecessary.
Should you be worried about your eyes? Yes, if it reminds you to stick to low carb living.
Sally
Thanks Sally, Its good to know that I can potentially stop it progressing, and maybe reverse the diabetes. I wont let this beat me. Feeling how I feel having reduced my carbs to below 20g, that is feeling fantastic, there is no way I will revert to starchy veg, bread, pasta and rice. Its just as well I love Brussel sprouts et al! LOL!
Thanks for your support.
Mary

Fergum10

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
celery!
I agree, I would imagine if you keep up those numbers you won't find the retinopathy getting worse and I believe it's possible to even reverse the early changes. I've had full on retinopathy for quite a while now (I'm T1) and with the treatment I still see perfectly well so please don't start panicking that you're going blind or anything (like I did in the beginning :) )
Phew! Thanks Beccy. I walked round the park today a little tearful at the thought of losing my sight eventually, but your words have helped me enormously. I do tend to fear the worst! :)

Dark Horse

People with type 2 diabetes may have background retinopathy at first screening because they may have had undiagnosed diabetes for years which has been uncontrolled. Improving diabetic control reduces the risk of new diabetic changes forming and the old changes may disappear from view. Some people with improved control may get a future screening where no retinopathy is detected, whereas others may get background retinopathy results for the rest of their lives. Good control reduces the risk of progression but doesn't eliminate it so it's important to continue being screened so that any sight-threatening retinopathy can be detected early which is when treatment is most effective.

Fergum10

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
celery!
People with type 2 diabetes may have background retinopathy at first screening because they may have had undiagnosed diabetes for years which has been uncontrolled. Improving diabetic control reduces the risk of new diabetic changes forming and the old changes may disappear from view. Some people with improved control may get a future screening where no retinopathy is detected, whereas others may get background retinopathy results for the rest of their lives. Good control reduces the risk of progression but doesn't eliminate it so it's important to continue being screened so that any sight-threatening retinopathy can be detected early which is when treatment is most effective.
Thanks for replying to this. Really helpful and informative, and I have to say Im a lot calmer than I was earlier. Much appreciated.

Reactions: Dark Horse

ally1

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
liver
I am type 2. Have had 3 retinal eye tests. The first 2 showed signs of damage. My 3rd in july showed up as no damage and was clear. I was so confused that i rang them up. They got my notes up and yes no damage. So i said how come everything is clear now but showed damage in the first 2. She explained thete there are 3 catagaries called D1, D2 and D3. The first 3 showed i was D2 which is just slight damage and nothing to be concerned about. 3rd test result is D1 which is no signs of damage. She went on to explain that my test results must have improved, which they greatly improved. Slight damage can repair them selves with keeping blood sigars levels low x

tigerlily72

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi All,

I just received a letter from the Eye screening clinic after my test a couple of weeks ago. I'm a bit fazed as it said I had some background retinopathy which has now put the fear of God into me. I was only diagnosed with T2 diabetes two months ago. Since then I've gone on the low carb diet, and my BG levels are all under 6. Most times in the 4's or 5'.5s.

What does all this mean, is it normal to have this so early on? I'm on metformin 2 x 500g a day.
I phoned my GP yesterday on the matter of a torn calf muscle, also whilst I had him, asked him for a new prescription for testing strips. He went bananas and said I only need to test myself once a week with type 2, and that regards meds I'm "hardly on anything'".

He's agreed to give me strips every two months. (How nice of him!) When I told him my BG levels ,he said they were 'too good'...Why are they' too good', what the hell does that mean?! He didn't suggest I reduce the meds. In fact he couldn't wait to get me off the phone. I know he's busy but this is important to me and I need to know I'm being looked after. Does anyone else have this trouble?

Regards the low carb diet, I told him I'd cut out all carbs, and again he sounded exasperated and said YOU MUST HAVE CARBS WITH YOUR MEAL AT ALL TIMES!. He said "Desmond would tell you all about that!) . I told him I get all the carbs I need from vegetables..He then said. "ah well, yes". What the hell? Are all GP's not clued up? As for "DESMOND" Im still waiting to hear from them!

Seriously do I need to be worried about my eyes?

Hi and Welcome :)

I had a very similar experience when first diagnosed with T2 last September. My very first diabetic retinal screening came back with "some background retinopathy" and scared the hell out of me at the time. When I spoke to my Dr at an appointment to review my blood pressure meds I asked her to explain more. I had this in my right eye only and was reassured that it was nothing to worry about.

I have had an eye test today due to some issues with my sight and am happy and relieved it has NOTHING to do with diabetes but age! My optician also told me that from the other tests and retinal photography she couldn't see any signs of retinopathy and my eyes didn't have any health issues.

I can't remember which thread and forum it was posted in, but background retinopathy can sort itself out and disappear as my sight test today would testify :).

If you use the search criteria and type in retinopathy etc it should throw up a few results to help put your mind at rest. Background retinopathy does not need any treatment so please try not to worry.

Fergum10

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
celery!
I am type 2. Have had 3 retinal eye tests. The first 2 showed signs of damage. My 3rd in july showed up as no damage and was clear. I was so confused that i rang them up. They got my notes up and yes no damage. So i said how come everything is clear now but showed damage in the first 2. She explained thete there are 3 catagaries called D1, D2 and D3. The first 3 showed i was D2 which is just slight damage and nothing to be concerned about. 3rd test result is D1 which is no signs of damage. She went on to explain that my test results must have improved, which they greatly improved. Slight damage can repair them selves with keeping blood sigars levels low x
Wow! Well done on keeping your sugars low. You're the proof that it can happen. I feel much better now. Thanks so much for taking the time to reply.

Fergum10

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
celery!
Hi and Welcome :)

I had a very similar experience when first diagnosed with T2 last September. My very first diabetic retinal screening came back with "some background retinopathy" and scared the hell out of me at the time. When I spoke to my Dr at an appointment to review my blood pressure meds I asked her to explain more. I had this in my right eye only and was reassured that it was nothing to worry about.

I have had an eye test today due to some issues with my sight and am happy and relieved it has NOTHING to do with diabetes but age! My optician also told me that from the other tests and retinal photography she couldn't see any signs of retinopathy and my eyes didn't have any health issues.

I can't remember which thread and forum it was posted in, but background retinopathy can sort itself out and disappear as my sight test today would testify :).

If you use the search criteria and type in retinopathy etc it should throw up a few results to help put your mind at rest. Background retinopathy does not need any treatment so please try not to worry.
Thanks so much for your response. I really do feel much more optimistic than I did yesterday, thanks to everyone's kind answers. I hope I can get this under control too. :)

Reactions: noblehead

tigerlily72

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks so much for your response. I really do feel much more optimistic than I did yesterday, thanks to everyone's kind answers. I hope I can get this under control too. :)

You're very welcome. This site and forum really is a GREAT place to be because someone, somewhere will always be able to offer support, advice, information and share an experience. It's my "Go To" when I'm needing answers :)

Reactions: Fergum10

Titan62

Phew! Thanks Beccy. I walked round the park today a little tearful at the thought of losing my sight eventually, but your words have helped me enormously. I do tend to fear the worst! :)
Hi Fergum10 I like your previous post have also been advised that I have background retinopathy. My blood sugars are under control, but have high blood pressure.

What is the update on your condition?

K

Knikki

Hi Fergum10 I like your previous post have also been advised that I have background retinopathy. My blood sugars are under control, but have high blood pressure.

What is the update on your condition?

You might be waiting a while for a reply as Fergum10, according to the info, has not been on for more than 40 weeks.

If you want more info on Background Retinopathy you might be better off posting into one of the more open thread like Diabetes Question or Discussion. :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Titan62

You might be waiting a while for a reply as Fergum10, according to the info, has been on for more than 40 weeks.

If you want more info on Background Retinopathy you might be better off posting into one of the more open thread like Diabetes Question or Discussion. :)
Thanks.