Bad day on metformin

grante

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I've been taking Metformin for 5 weeks with no issues at all until today.
I took one without food and an hour later I was doubled up with stomach pain.
Has anyone else had this ?

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Start again tomorrow but take it about 20mins after food. Try and not forget.
I know I forget occasionally.
I'd love an implant which released after food. No such thing at mo but hay ho you never know the way forward.

All the time it doesn't agree with no food I guess its tablet form only.

My consultant was shocked how big my metformin tablets are. After bariatric surgery I'm going to have a job swallowing 2.

Reactions: grante
D

Deleted member 308541

I've been taking Metformin for 5 weeks with no issues at all until today.
I took one without food and an hour later I was doubled up with stomach pain.
Has anyone else had this ?
I follow the instructions on the label the pharmacy puts on the box of Metformin "Take one tablet with food twice daily", so no food no Metformin.

Take them with food at all times, it's a lot easier on your guts.

Reactions: 38candy and grante

sheepie123

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I'd love an implant which released after food. No such thing at mo but hay ho you never know the way forward.

My consultant was shocked how big my metformin tablets are. After bariatric surgery I'm going to have a job swallowing 2.

I thought surgery cures T2 in most people?

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
@sheepie123
It is my belief (please, members feel free to correct me if I'm wrong about this) that weight loss alone does not lead to a reversal of T2. Even after barbaric surgery dietary habits must change, it's not just a matter of volume but of nutrition. An acquaintance of mine had the banding op but somehow managed to regain most of the weight she lost because of poor choices. I was not overweight when I was diagnosed and I have lost a little weight in the effort to lower my bg levels. There are many people who are obese but show no signs of T2.

Reactions: 38candy

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I believe prediabetics can lose their diabetes with bariatric surgery, if they eat right afterwards. @sheepie123

I've had diabetes since I had symptoms when I was 6yrs old. For 40yrs I've done severe diets, exercise and slimming pills. The least I weighed was 15 and a half stone for ivf. Pre children years.
2 pregnancies on insulin on and now on insulin due to severe insulin resistance.

You can lose weight on insulin therapy too. Well, I have. I didn't add in pregnancies just afterwards when took off insulin.

Metformin is an excellent insulin resistant drug. I swear by it.
In times of upset tum I reduce or stop then start again on one tablet and build up to the 4 which helps me lose weight.

Last edited:

sasharhianna93

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
This also happened to me when I was first diagnosed in February of this year. I forgot to eat when I took my morning dose of Metformin & I had the worst stomach pains afterwards. Now I make sure I eat every time I take them!

Reactions: 38candy and grante

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I take my metformin half way through my meal ,This helps me to remember it and it is absorbed with the food so it doesn't bite back !
CAROL

Johnjoe13

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I think everyone is different where this stuff is concerned and when I first started taking it I did have some problems afterward, although initially on one 500mg a day I can say that I knew I'd had it when it came to the next visit to the toilette. The pharmacist asked a month or so later how I was getting on with it and I told her and she suggested I try taking it just after a meal and since then I've been fine

12345vonnie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
vegetables

i hate taking metformin my nurse wanted me to take 4 a day I told her no chance I cant swallow them I have to put them down my throught literally so now take 2 metformin and 1 empaglifloin a day

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I had the worst 5 weeks of my life last year, taking Metformin and Atorvastatin, and I was even more resentful to realise that it was all for nothing - at my 6 month bloodtest I am just about normal.
I am going to stick to Atkins to lose weight, as it is the only way of eating which ever gave me perfect control of my weight. I can't see me getting back a 24 inch waist, but that is what I had before I got all the hysterical misinformation about low carb eating. I have had to wait for my metabolism to normalise and to realise that I needed to eat a bit more fat, but my weight is starting to drop again after several months being stalled.
I was a fully fledged diabetic, but did not need to be losing weight in order to see my blood glucose levels going down each week.

Worthamfalls

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi everyone, I am newly diagnosed with type 2 and been on Matformin 500mg am only for 2 weeks and if all ok then it will be twice daily. first few days I was taking after breakfast and lets just say the trips to the bathroom were horrendious to say the least, I know take them half way thru breakfast so they are absorbed with food and it has calmed down.....oh and cutting out coffee!

I am on a low carb diet and i have never taken sugar in my tea, or drink fizzy drinks, sweets, cakes etc., but i have always been bad for having one meal a day as when i am busy at work i tend to forget to eat!

Still coming to terms with my diagnosis and this site is an excellent resource.

letstalk1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
This also happened to me when I was first diagnosed in February of this year. I forgot to eat when I took my morning dose of Metformin & I had the worst stomach pains afterwards. Now I make sure I eat every time I take them!
yes- important

letstalk1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
@sheepie123
It is my belief (please, members feel free to correct me if I'm wrong about this) that weight loss alone does not lead to a reversal of T2. Even after barbaric surgery dietary habits must change, it's not just a matter of volume but of nutrition. An acquaintance of mine had the banding op but somehow managed to regain most of the weight she lost because of poor choices. I was not overweight when I was diagnosed and I have lost a little weight in the effort to lower my bg levels. There are many people who are obese but show no signs of T2.
sure , true