Basal injection times twice daily

manda pops

Dislikes
spiders, football, topgear
Hey

Does anyone know the best times to take levemir twice daily im scared of it running out and making me high also suffering dp

Thanks

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

David147

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Insulin
The role of basal insulin, also known as background insulin, is to keep blood glucose levels at consistent levels during periods of fasting.

When fasting, the body steadily releases glucose into the blood to our cells supplied with energy.

Basal insulin is therefore needed to keep blood glucose levels under control, and to allow the cells to take in glucose for energy. Basal insulin is usually taken once or twice a day depending on the insulin.

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Hi @manda pops, I take levemir twice daily and do the injections 12 hours apart. I'd recommend times that are convenient for you really. When you do it won't make a huge amount of difference to the efficiency.

Reactions: 2 people

Heathenlass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
What @tim2000s said, really .

There is a little leeway in taking it slightly before the end of the 12 hour period, as it takes up to two hours to start working. Sometimes this is useful when it's inconvienient to dose at your usual time I wouldn't leave it longer than twelve hours apart though .

Signy