Emmotha

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
image.jpg

Hi all,
Really frustrating times at the mo.
Had my usual porridge with my usual dose and had a reading of 14 by blood. I've corrected but not sure why this is happening?

I reduced my basal from 10 to 6 to stop my overnight hypos, and night is looking ok. I'm raising in the morning.

Should I take more in the morning do you think? Is my honeymoon over?

iHs

I think you'll find thst because you've reduced yr basal to stop the lows overnight, you've now got less of it controlling yr daytime bg levels so to compensate, increase the bolus and keep an eye on bg levels.

Reactions: 2 people

robert72

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
View attachment 8271

Hi all,
Had my usual porridge with my usual dose and had a reading of 14 by blood. I've corrected but not sure why this is happening?

I reduced my basal from 10 to 6 to stop my overnight hypos, and night is looking ok. I'm raising in the morning.

I wouldn't adjust anything based on a one-off reading. But if a pattern emerges then think about it.

I wonder if the spike is related to the malteser incident. I used to find, if I'd eaten too many unneeded carbs, that I would eventually get them released back some time later in unpredictable spikes like that.

Reactions: 8 people

LucySW

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Emmotha, don't forget the time lag. When I fiddle with my basal it takes two, three days to come thro. Smidge said the same so it's probably what happens.

So I wouldn't do anything quickly. Go for the bolus?

Wurst

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Narcissistic forum members
I gave up on porridge week 1 after diagnosis. Absolutely lethal stuff:)

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
You might want to split dose too if your not getting a full 24 hours coverage with your basal insulin, have a chat with your DSN and see what they suggest.

MalcNascar

I would chat with your DSN.I used to have issues with night time hypos and after looking on here saw some were splitting their basal insulin. My consultant was against changing but the nurse was all for giving it a go. Eventually we settled on moving all of the Basal insulin to mornings (its Lantus) cant recall last time I had a night time Hypo.
Would also take on board comments about isolated readings

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
I stopped eating Porridge too after being diagnosed, couldn't handle the huge spike afterwards !!

Kelsie

View attachment 8271

Hi all,

I used to have the same problem with porridge-I would carb count and dose correctly but eventually my DSN pointed out eating my porridge and injecting my normal dose but half hour after eating the porridge. This is because porridge is slow releasing and I found it really helped! It got rid of the horrible 12+ peak I was getting just by simply injecting 30-45 mins after eating it :) just don't do what I've done on a couple occasions and then forget completely to inject! Haha

rubold

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Must say, I've always found porridge to be OK, well in comparison to wheat cereals that are similar to eating pure glucose. I suppose it depends how you prepare it. I just use water to cook with an artificial sweetener and a pinch of salt and then add some milk to mix with and cool.