Basal Testing

iHs

Lol its colder today....
basal testing is best done in my opinion, when the weather temp is about the same so until that time comes....just tweak

Reactions: 2 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
That is a great suggestion @smidge. I had my first review a few weeks back and they were very happy with my progress so not sure they would let me have the loan of a CGM, anyway the last time I enquired about one (it was a few years ago) the waiting list was 3-6 months.

I've tweaked my morning basal so will see how things go, but thanks again for your input Smidge.

iHs

Thanks @iHs, interesting I have reduced my basal doses since the weather has warmed up (much the same as I had to do on MDI).

A pump is just an insulin delivering device......nothing is automatic and never will be until it becomes the artificial pancreas, so until that time comes, bg test or get cgm and use the data to adjust the settings to keep bg safe

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
DD why dont you eat until 5pm? Is this because of driving and keeping yr bg ok or to try to get yr cholesterol down?
Never hungry. Just want to get up snd get out. I tried the fruit and cream for brekkie when hubby did it.. But if no one with me so to speak I just not want food.

Nothing to do with basal testing or diabetes. I just never feel any urge or need to eat at all. Eating for me is just to live. I don't live to eat.

I've tried the porridge or toast and the overlapping of eating times or whatever back whilst living in Wales and I just can't do it. I also have a huge reaction to bread nowadays where it ends up literally the size of a tennis ball in stomach.. So thats my reasons for 5-6pmfoods.

It does give me good basal testing wach day and a good bolus testing in evening too.

Absolutely nothing to do with bg or cholesterol-it was always my prefered eating routine.

nigelho

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Had an interesting morning, decided to do a basal check as my bg levels have been dipping into the low 4''s & late 3's pre-lunch over the last week or two, woke to a bg reading of 6.1 after going to bed on 6.4 which was fine, tested 90mins later and my bg levels had gone up to 8.9 then 2 hours after that it had reached 11.2 so all in all my bg went up by 4.8mmol.

I've known for some time that I get a liver dump if I don't eat breakfast soon after waking so always ensure that I have something to eat, but what was surprising by today's results is that I appear to have had not one but two liver dumps which was unexpected, but levels are back down to 10.4 which does prove that my mid-morning basal rate needs reduced slightly.

Does anyone else experience the similar results when they don't eat on a morning?
Had an interesting morning, decided to do a basal check as my bg levels have been dipping into the low 4''s & late 3's pre-lunch over the last week or two, woke to a bg reading of 6.1 after going to bed on 6.4 which was fine, tested 90mins later and my bg levels had gone up to 8.9 then 2 hours after that it had reached 11.2 so all in all my bg went up by 4.8mmol.

I've known for some time that I get a liver dump if I don't eat breakfast soon after waking so always ensure that I have something to eat, but what was surprising by today's results is that I appear to have had not one but two liver dumps which was unexpected, but levels are back down to 10.4 which does prove that my mid-morning basal rate needs reduced slightly.

Does anyone else experience the similar results when they don't eat on a morning?
I thought you were testing out your basal insulin amounts which is usually done by having a nil carb meal then checking the BSs approx 4 hours later. If I don't eat I'll hypo first.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
I thought you were testing out your basal insulin amounts which is usually done by having a nil carb meal then checking the BSs approx 4 hours later. If I don't eat I'll hypo first.

That's what I did Nigel, except I didn't eat anything (you shouldn't eat anything when doing a basal check) and only drank water.

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Having said that I don't see sudden spikes in bg levels due to dawn phenomenon, I saw a few this morning at various points where I was woken up. Nothing like consistent inconsistency. Good luck getting it sorted.

19e65135566a6512cc77418473eb2e02.jpg

bellabella

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

I get a mid morning liver dump whether I eat or not
For example one omelette for breakfast would require 4-5 units novor and even at that I'd be coming in a 10-11 mmol at lunch time
I wake up at about 5-6 mmol and it starts to creep up from 10am onwards
I used to take all my lantus at 7pm but what I've started to do is to take half the dose at 7pm and the other half at 7am
I didn't expect this to make Much of a difference but surprisingly it has evened out my lunch time levels to 6/7 which is an amazing relief

mrman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I used to get a rise in morning on mdi not eating so had to compensate with my bolus. By doing so worked. When I went onto pump upped my early morning basal alot between 4-8 am. This corrected the rise I used to get every morning , tested by not eating breakfast, staying within range. This meant I didn't need to componsate with bolus so reduced that. If your seeing a rise when fasting and are on a pump you should up the basal to correct it. If you don't up the basal, when eating , you can correct by eating and compensate with bolus , either way if in range all good.
Another point to add is after basal checking I always need extra bolus at next meal.

yingtong

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People who.kock diabetes
Thanks for all the information,I seem to get a liver dump the moment I get out of bed.This has given me so many answers and I will be basal testing tomorrow to see if have corrected this,many thanks.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
I used to get a rise in morning on mdi not eating so had to compensate with my bolus. By doing so worked. When I went onto pump upped my early morning basal alot between 4-8 am. This corrected the rise I used to get every morning , tested by not eating breakfast, staying within range. This meant I didn't need to componsate with bolus so reduced that. If your seeing a rise when fasting and are on a pump you should up the basal to correct it. If you don't up the basal, when eating , you can correct by eating and compensate with bolus , either way if in range all good.
Another point to add is after basal checking I always need extra bolus at next meal.

Likewise Brett, I get a late DP and when on MDI I would wake up high if I overslept, since starting on a pump I do have a separate basal rate that deals with this, but the liver dump is something separate and naturally occurs when I don't eat.....which my basal tests have shown. Today I slept in till 8.00am and only woke 0.4mmol more than my pre-bed bg reading which proves the worthiness of pump and the ability to adjust basal rates throughout the day.

Gary Scheiner says in his book that when you eat following a fasting basal check its quite normal to see higher postprandial bg readings than you would any other time, its something to do with the body fast-tracking the digestion of the meal (or something along those lines).

Thanks everyone for your input, adjusted basal rate following the basal tests and all has settled down.

Reactions: 4 people