BD Viva vs BD Microfine Ultra Needles

Desbrina

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all

I've been changed to the BD Viva needles from the Microfine Ultra ones. I find i can't get on the with the new ones, i'm needle phobic and the new ones hurt a lot more than the old ones.
Have spoken to my GP who said I can't go back the microfine ones, spoken to my nurse who said that the two needles are exactly the same ( according to a BD rep )

I don't know what else to do, its at the point where im now not taking the insulin and sugars are getting really high
I'm seeing the consultant tomorrow but i don't hold out much hope

D

Deleted Account

Occasionally, I would get prescribed slightly different needles. Looking at the pictures, I think my usual needles were Microfine Ultra and the different ones were BD Viva.
I found the BD Viva to be "sticky": they didn't slide as well into my stomach. as a consequence, I would bruise easier.

I know this is anecdotal evidence but it does suggest there are significant differences between the two types.
Good luck with your consultant.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
I'm seeing the consultant tomorrow but i don't hold out much hope

Don't despair, just tell the Consultant that the needles hurt and your unhappy with your GP's response, they can write (or email) the gp surgery and insist that the Micro-Fine needles are put back on your repeat prescription.

Hollie474

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Did they give you the old needles? I hate the viva ones too and my GP says I can’t go back to the micro fine ones which is a shame as i’m getting so many bruises!